• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog Light Question

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled the center bezel and the lower panel with the wiper and defog
switch in it, to cut it up to install a switch for fog lights. What I found is some wiring plugged into the plastic panel. I would think this is set up for fogs if my jeep was ordered with fog lights. Is this so ? Wire colors are black,purple,blue and orange. Do these lead to the loose plug behind the front bumper ? If so, is it set up through a relay and can this handle 2 - 100 watt lamps?

I am sure this is covered someplace, but I can't find it.

Dave

You'll also have to install the relay into the relay box as well. I don't know if the wires are behind the box though. i didn't bother digging any further into it.

that is the fog light switch wiring.
1=Orange= fuse panel lamp dimmer switch signal
2=Light Blue=fog lamp output switch (to the relay)
3=Violet= fused headlamp switch output
4=black= ground
Out of a 2000 fsm.
As long as the relay you use is a 30 amp 12v dc relay you will be fine with 2 100 watt fog lights (200 watts at 14 volts will net you 14.28 amps so a 30 amp relay can handle it) but i would use heavier guage wire than the OEM fog light wiring (in event it is still there). I'd recommend 14 awg wire to 100 watt fogs.

has anyone ever replaced the factory siwtch with a regular old toggle switch or rocker.....if so what wires went were.....orange....blue.....violet....black

XJensen said:
That would sport you a ticket out here.
Really? I'm pretty sure the Hella 500's I bought came with a special relay so that if the high-beams came on they would turn on also.. I didn't install it anyways.

I just wired up some 100 watt fog lights on my 2000 XJ last week but I did not use the factory wiring anywhere because it is way to small. I have it wired so they always come on with the high beams even if the switch is in the off position. If I turn the switch on the fogs will also come on with the low beams. If you want it to work this way you have to wire in a diode so if you flip the switch with the low beams on it does not backfeed and turn on the high beams at the same time as teh low beams.
If you just want the lights to come on with the high beams you don't even need a switch, just splice into the highbeam wire and run another wire from that to your signal wire input on the relay.

Im tryin to use the existing wiring with the existing fog lamps just using a new rocker switch....just not sure where the four wires that went to the factory switch would go

If your Jeep did come with fog lights and thay aint there no more, it's because somebody before you figured that the stock setup is more of a pain in the @$$ to fix than it is worth. You can buy a better aftermarket set for less money and hook it up with less of a headache.

I just run all of mine hot with a relay. So yea theoretically they could be left on unknowingly. But the switches I have use a mega bright blue LED to remind me. After a while it just becomes habbit to turn them off. I too tried to use the stock wiring and it would have been more of a PITA and costed more as well.

Yeah, uh, definitely illegal. If any inspection tech would check it, FAIL. Any FOG light from any manufacturer will state in the directions that they should be wired to only work with low beams. Just splice a wire into either driver or pass. side headlight.

Lol well of course they're illegal... but so is having them on while driving on highways period. No matter how they're wired. I personally like it better because I can control exactly what's off/on

As for inspections, only need one in MD:)

on my hella worklights as theyre called, 2 55w bulbs per housing i used a trigger wire thats only hot w/ key on so they can be used as daytime running lights if i wanted to (i dont) they go of when key is off so dont have to worry bout turning em off also used a double throw double pole switch so i can run either 1 set(2 bulbs on) or both( 4 bulbs on) my apc fogs below the bumper use the parking light wire for the trigger so they go off and on by the light switchthey have a seperate relay and switch too

Back