• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got a 97 Cherokee and have ??

kerwinq

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 97 Cherokee Sport and have a few questions.
It is a 4.0 automatic with 140K

The CEL came on and was told it was the O2 Sensors but how many sensors are there and how hard are they to replace? I thought there were only 2 but a shop said 4

The steering makes a clicking noise when turning towards the left. Doesn't sound like a CV axle but not sure what it is, hard to tell without hearing the noise but it is just a click, click and does not seem to affect the steering at all
When shifted into drive there is a thud. Does this sound like a bad U-Joint, or maybe a trans mount?

The E-brake will not stay in the up position, the button does not go in and out like there is a broken spring inside, is this difficult to repair?

What years can I use for parts interchange

Thanks for all the help in advance,
Kerwin

First, 2 O2 sensors, on on the downpipe header the other by the cat, newer ones 00 have more I think.

The EB handle, probably broke, several had the buttons pop off, I had it happen with my 98, I bought a new one, whole assembly, and made an aluminum button then epoxyed it in the old assembly, now I have a spare.

Thud might be U joint or trans mount on the cross member.
Clicking, check the U joints on the axle ends, might want to jack the whole thing up on jackstands, pull the wheels, check both back and front brakes, repair as necessary, change all the fluids, coolant, engine, tranny, transfer case and differentials. Might even want to flush the brake fluid.

Welcome to the group...

Yea your truck should only have 2 o2 sensors.. not 4. Since you only have 1 header. If it was a V6 you would likely have four.
One before the cat and one after the cat. Bank1 sensor 1, bank1 sensor 2.
Most o2 sensors need a 24 mm wrench or a special o2 sensor socket. Generally not hard to replace unless they are rusted all to hell.

Does it sound like your dragging a hole bunch of coke cans when you turn left or just an occasional pop?

The click in the steering is more like the clicks that a dead battery would make when trying to start. Seemed like it was coming from the steering box but I could not pinpoint. I could hear it when just turning the wheels and not actually driving

Back