• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding the rear (lincoln locker )

xjeepaholik

NAXJA Forum User
i just did this today and man what an easy mod with huge results . If i would have known all i would get is a little tire scrub in tight corners i would have done this years ago . i have read all the posts on the pros and cons but man , what a huge difference . i can go places now in 2wd that i couldnt go with open diffs i could never do in4wd . i even tried to break it to make sure its gonna hold out on the trail , man , im really surprised and happy . anyone have any horror storys of doing the same thing > just to let you know i have the 29 spline 8.25 that i did it to . i know some of the 35s and stuff break easier .. give me some feed back .

I just did it to an 8.8 rearend...and i love it. my only complaint is that since it is 5/8 narrower on either side i cannot for the life of me get mud on the sides. so it looks like i need to get some wheels. BUT it is down right nasty offroad.

Be careful in rain, snow, and ice with the welded up axle. All the rumors you hear about lockers and snow will be worse with a welded axle. Real easy to spin out. When you corner in low traction conditions, even slow curves on the highway, one rear tire HAS to loose traction. With 100% torque to the remaining tire, it will slip easy. Bob sled!

Not true...

A welded or spooled rear axle is way more predictable than an automatic locking diff. No worrying about the diff grabbing mid corner when you get on the gas. With a welded diff or spool, it grabs all the way through with no surprises. While it may be true that it will be easier to slip and slide in snow or mud, once you get a few hours of driving it under your belt, you'll get a good feel for what it will and won't do.

:peace:

BTW, I'm speaking from experience on both sides of the debate. I've ran both lincoln lockers and automatic lockers.

Back