• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor mount bolt hitting oil filter base? WTF???

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
ok,thought i was going to get the engine pulled in the 92 cherokee tonight so i can get the other used engine ready to go in and get my jeep up and running again,but no,murphy's law strikes again:( I was taking the motor mounts out of the jeep so i could lower the engine to get to the top two e12 bolts,and set the engine on the floor and call it a night. wait,here comes murphy!! I can't get the passenger's side motor mount bolt out because it hits the oil filter base. is this normal,or has my bad luck with mechanical stuff kept up it's good streak? what is the solution? take the motor mounts off from where it connects to the body,but then i won't be able to lower the engine to get to the top tranny bolts.somebody help before i throw a stick of dynamite in the damn thing and call it a night:)

cjben said:
ok,thought i was going to get the engine pulled in the 92 cherokee tonight so i can get the other used engine ready to go in and get my jeep up and running again,but no,murphy's law strikes again:( I was taking the motor mounts out of the jeep so i could lower the engine to get to the top two e12 bolts,and set the engine on the floor and call it a night. wait,here comes murphy!! I can't get the passenger's side motor mount bolt out because it hits the oil filter base. is this normal,or has my bad luck with mechanical stuff kept up it's good streak? what is the solution? take the motor mounts off from where it connects to the body,but then i won't be able to lower the engine to get to the top tranny bolts.somebody help before i throw a stick of dynamite in the damn thing and call it a night:)
Remove the oil filter housing from the block. Then the bolt will come right out. And yes, it is normal.

Yep, remove the stud on the filter housing. Another option is to remove the bolts from the mount itself. It has 1 bolt down and one bolt up. I beleive that is how i removed them on that side.

lbsnowryder said:
Another option is to remove the bolts from the mount itself. It has 1 bolt down and one bolt up. I beleive that is how i removed them on that side.
That's also what we did at the u-pull-it. Once the mount was unbolted from the frame, we lifted the engine enough to rotate the mount up out of the way, then lowered the engine onto the frame and that gave us plenty of room to reach the e bolts up top.

RenixPower said:
Remove the oil filter housing from the block. Then the bolt will come right out. And yes, it is normal.

X3. When you drop the engine back in, insert the bolt from the front.

Back