• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker cut out flares

down_and_dirtyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I was looking at a set of bushwacker cut out flares for my 98 xj and was wondering if you actually have to cut out material from the fenders I have already trimed to clear my 33's and would like some flares that looked good but also worked any help would be great

Everyone says dont go BW they fall off blah blah blah. I personally have no idea but am in the process of getting mine right now. I think im going to be looking into other forms of mounting them though. Ive heard good and bad but we will have to wait and see. They say they give about 2" more of clearance but I have no idea if they require trimming ( think they do)

Bushwackers are junk from my experience. Just do a nice trim. If you live in a state that requires flares, just pay the fine. That's what I do. Most I've ever been fined was $15. Big deal.

BlackJax said:
Bushwackers are junk from my experience. Just do a nice trim. If you live in a state that requires flares, just pay the fine. That's what I do. Most I've ever been fined was $15. Big deal.

Why are they crap???

1) They are brittle (as mentioned).
2) No matter what you use to mount them, the bolts/screws/whatever bolt through a tiny 1" plastic tab. These tabs will eventually break off completely.

3) The recommended mounting system relies on tapping into sheet metal. Not sure about you, but sheet metal is weak to me. I don't trust it to hold paint on, much less $300 worth of plastic fenders.

4) The company claims it has a satisfaction guaranteed, Lifetime warranty. That is until you break their flares and play the cross shipping game with them. I ended up spending more money shipping their flares back and forth than I did buying new flares.

5) The inner lip of the flare contacts tire at full compression. when the tire is tucked into the wheel well. With the Bushwacker, you cannot even tuck the tire because it will tear your flares off.

BlackJax said:
1) They are brittle (as mentioned).
2) No matter what you use to mount them, the bolts/screws/whatever bolt through a tiny 1" plastic tab. These tabs will eventually break off completely.

3) The recommended mounting system relies on tapping into sheet metal. Not sure about you, but sheet metal is weak to me. I don't trust it to hold paint on, much less $300 worth of plastic fenders.

4) The company claims it has a satisfaction guaranteed, Lifetime warranty. That is until you break their flares and play the cross shipping game with them. I ended up spending more money shipping their flares back and forth than I did buying new flares.

5) The inner lip of the flare contacts tire at full compression. when the tire is tucked into the wheel well. With the Bushwacker, you cannot even tuck the tire because it will tear your flares off.

I was planning on ordering a set of these flares untill i read this. Now i have 2nd thoughts. I guess i will just have a set of tubed flares made

BlackJax said:
Its getting an Inspection thats the trouble most of the time. I got refused Friday because my tires were too wide. And I guess you have pretty linient officers, the fine is a lot more here.

Get em I have had them for 2 years and hit trees with them scratched but not cracked they hold on just fine you cant expect them to be rock sliders thats all. You have to put into perspective what some people and doing with there jeeps hell you rub aginst a tree hard enought youll rip anything off.

traitor5150 said:
Get em I have had them for 2 years and hit trees with them scratched but not cracked they hold on just fine you cant expect them to be rock sliders thats all. You have to put into perspective what some people and doing with there jeeps hell you rub aginst a tree hard enought youll rip anything off.

Got any pics with the flares on your XJ

Back