• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift kits and towing?????

mikereid350

NAXJA Forum User
k... this is what i got at 2000xj with a 8.25 diff auto tranny,tranny cooler 33" tires and a 6" lift... and want to know how good it will tow a camper trailer that weigth about 2200 pounds the trailer has electic brakes... just want to know if lifting a vechile changes it towing abilitys.. anybody tow a heavy load with a big lift on the truck?? whats a xj spose to be able to tow anyway..

A stock XJ with the trailer towing package (usually an auto tranny, tranny cooler, class III hitch and wiring) is rated for 5000 lbs.

I don't have any experience towing with a lifted XJ, but with the electric brakes hooked up your Jeep should be fine. Although, with the big tires and stock gears you'll be working that engine and tranny pretty hard... If it's going to be a regular gig I'd get some 4.10's in there, or at least a bigger tranny cooler.

:)

33's should have 4.56's, not 4.10's. Even without a trailer 4.10's and 33's is hard on an xj on the highway.

I tow ~950 pounds somewhat often with my xj, 6.5" of lift, 35's and 4.88 gears. 65,000 on the motor; it *really* works going uphill at highway speeds. Install a good transmission cooler, drive in third up any hill. I would not try on stock gears under any circumstance - you will kill your transmission.

It will definitely tow atleast 2500lbs, but your gas mileage will be horrible, the heavier the trailer the worst the mileage, i've done it from nebraska to maryland with a uhaul trailer. But my trailer was'nt more then 1000lbs, and my gas mileage was about normal coming across county. So I would say you will be just fine....

ok thanks.. guy i still have stock gears now but getting new one in the spring.. i will only tow the trailer a couple of time to differnt camping spots..its about 40 k
from home..and the other is about 80k but 25k of it is a old unmaintained rd.. you can only drive about 20k an hour... right now i all ways have to borrow my dad pick up..

It sounds like you are going to pull a pop-up (2,200lbs).
Should be no problem, just stay in 3rd and not D. Gas milage will suffer and I recomend a tranny cooler. Those 33s will act to reduce your gear ratio and, though it is possible to pull your 2,200lb trailer with it, you may not like the performance.

It's not gonna be fun with stock gears and 33s...although if you're not going far, and you take it easy, you'll get there. Hopefully it is relatively flat. Keep an eye on your temps and be ready to give er a rest if it's working too hard.

Back