• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding the rear

Whiteknight

NAXJA Forum User
How quickly will my 8.25 blow up if I weld the spiders on my DD. Its a 93 with 35s.

I welded the rear on my 14bolt when i had in on my ram that had 39s and I daily drove that. I NEVER had any issues with it.

I do plan on throwing a 8.8 under it with in a few months so if the 8.25 blows up i won't be to dissappointed. I am just seeing if anyone has their 8.25s welded

^why not? I know about 4-5 kids who run welded rears everyday. Some on toyotas, some jeeps some fullsizes. If you know how to drive it....its fine Expect more tire wear in the rear, but keep them rotated. Ide do it, but is the axle strong enough for it? I dont know

My '95 has had the rear diff welded for about 7000 miles. It has 27 spline shafts and 33x10.5-15 tires. I haven't had any problems with the axle. The only problem I've had is people freaking out in parking lots from the squealing tires and when turning.

I like the way it handles and have no issues with it, but this is my opinion. It is more predictable handling then my locker or limited slip has been since I know it will always spin both tires. It also won't unlock when sliding causing the uncontrolled whip back that happens when the one tire gets traction.

Do I recommend it? No

Would I do it again? Yes, but I would probably buy a spool first.

And yes I do drive in snow and rain, but I'm very careful and always aware of the way it effects handling.

TNT said:
My '95 has had the rear diff welded for about 7000 miles. It has 27 spline shafts and 33x10.5-15 tires. I haven't had any problems with the axle. The only problem I've had is people freaking out in parking lots from the squealing tires and when turning.

I like the way it handles and have no issues with it, but this is my opinion. It is more predictable handling then my locker or limited slip has been since I know it will always spin both tires. It also won't unlock when sliding causing the uncontrolled whip back that happens when the one tire gets traction.

Do I recommend it? No

Would I do it again? Yes, but I would probably buy a spool first.

And yes I do drive in snow and rain, but I'm very careful and always aware of the way it effects handling.

Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear. And like I said I will be swapping in an 8.8 so i realy don't wanna spend any money on this axle. I am very lite on the throttle everyday so I shouldn't have any problems untill i wheel it:firedevil

i just did my 8.25 29 spliner yesterday and shit , if i would have known that just a little tire scrub going slow around tight corners would be it , i would have done it along time ago .. after i did it i took it out and went more places in 2wd than i could in 4wd , oh and by the way i was trying to break it so i would have an excuse to spend big $$$ on a detroit but as long as it holds im happy as crap with such a cheap mod. im only runnin 33 inch swampers so i dont know if larger tires will kill it , as far as the snow comments , i intetionally try to see if i can drift all the way around the local mall totally sidways in snow and i know ill have no probs now ... steering with a little steering wheel and a bunch of throttle sounds like fun to me . but im bout half retarded anywho !!!

my 95XJ has an 8.25 27spline, and it's been welded for just over 6months. it's my daily river with an average of 50-100miles a day, and when i go wheeling, it's always a 2-4hour drive each way.

would i recommend it?---------if you can't afford a locker, i would totally recommend it. just make sure you have a backup plan just incase. i have 2 spare axles in my garage that i got for free. so far i haven't needed them, and i push my jeep hard.

xjeepaholik said:
i just did my 8.25 29 spliner yesterday and shit , if i would have known that just a little tire scrub going slow around tight corners would be it , i would have done it along time ago .. after i did it i took it out and went more places in 2wd than i could in 4wd , oh and by the way i was trying to break it so i would have an excuse to spend big $$$ on a detroit but as long as it holds im happy as crap with such a cheap mod. im only runnin 33 inch swampers so i dont know if larger tires will kill it , as far as the snow comments , i intetionally try to see if i can drift all the way around the local mall totally sidways in snow and i know ill have no probs now ... steering with a little steering wheel and a bunch of throttle sounds like fun to me . but im bout half retarded anywho !!!

I love playing in the snow. I live in a rural area and am very careful in traffic and spend lots of time doing 4 wheel drifts when alone on the back roads. I think it is more predictable than a locker is when sliding. I enjoy mine.

TNT said:
I love playing in the snow. I live in a rural area and am very careful in traffic and spend lots of time doing 4 wheel drifts when alone on the back roads. I think it is more predictable than a locker is when sliding. I enjoy mine.

X2 on a spool/welded in the snow. if you know how to drive, the predictability of a spooled rear end can be tons of fun. plus with good tires and 2 tires instead of just one turning, you can take off from a stop pretty fast.

Let me know if you need an extra hand ever, I'm just down the road in Topeka.

-Andrew

Motorvated said:
^why not? I know about 4-5 kids who run welded rears everyday. Some on toyotas, some jeeps some fullsizes. If you know how to drive it....its fine Expect more tire wear in the rear, but keep them rotated. Ide do it, but is the axle strong enough for it? I dont know
The handling charachteristics of a welded rear are downright dangerous on the road. The rear can suddenly unload and throw you out of control. Do some people do it? Yes but IMO those who drive that way for a long time and have no mishaps are just lucky (and probably better than average drivers). The worst time is in low traction conditions. Sometimes you cannot tell when there is dust or something in the road that can cause a loss of traction, this can spell disaster. To each his own, I just try to offer some friendly advice to those who might be less experienced. It's all good.:D

jeeperjohn said:
The handling charachteristics of a welded rear are downright dangerous on the road. The rear can suddenly unload and throw you out of control. Do some people do it? Yes but IMO those who drive that way for a long time and have no mishaps are just lucky (and probably better than average drivers). The worst time is in low traction conditions. Sometimes you cannot tell when there is dust or something in the road that can cause a loss of traction, this can spell disaster. To each his own, I just try to offer some friendly advice to those who might be less experienced. It's all good.:D

jeeperjohn has somewhat of a valid point. but the way i look at it, is that anybody who modifies their jeep (locker/spool, lift, etc...) should also adjust their driving habits accordingly. when my XJ was stock i damn near drove it like i drove my corvette. now that it's got 5" lift and welded rear end, i tone it down alot.

and yes, it does also help if one really knows how to drive, not just start the vehicle and go down the road.

jeeperjohn said:

I agree. Like I stated I don't recommend it.

I do it myself with my automatic XJ but it's not for everyone.

With a manual transmission I wouldn't recommend it or do it myself for a daily driver. Manual transmissions make it is very easy to spin in a turn just by backing off the throttle and intensify the poor handling in general caused by the welded/spooled rearend.

I have had over 100,000 miles of daily driving with either a welded rear end or a spool. I also have over 40 hours of track time with them. It can be downright dangerous if you drive improperly. I do drive very careful due to the different handling characteristics. When road conditions are wet or slippery it is very easy to have problems.

I have found that having the Select-Trac 242 transfer case and using the full-time position helps when sliding since the front is also pulling when accelerating it makes it easier to control and helps the overall handling. It is much easier to spinout when in 2wd.

When money permits installing selectable lockers front and rear. It's just not in the budget yet.

TNT said:
I agree. Like I stated I don't recommend it.

I do it myself with my automatic XJ but it's not for everyone.

With a manual transmission I wouldn't recommend it or do it myself for a daily driver. Manual transmissions make it is very easy to spin in a turn just by backing off the throttle and intensify the poor handling in general caused by the welded/spooled rearend.

I have had over 100,000 miles of daily driving with either a welded rear end or a spool. I also have over 40 hours of track time with them. It can be downright dangerous if you drive improperly. I do drive very careful due to the different handling characteristics. When road conditions are wet or slippery it is very easy to have problems.

I have found that having the Select-Trac 242 transfer case and using the full-time position helps when sliding since the front is also pulling when accelerating it makes it easier to control and helps the overall handling. It is much easier to spinout when in 2wd.

When money permits installing selectable lockers front and rear. It's just not in the budget yet.
I'm running a lockright in the rear, which behaves the same as a spool under power. Luckily we don't get much rain here but the never ending construction creates alot of dust and dirt on the roads. I am in the habit of letting off the throttle if possible when turning on dirty pavement to let the locker differentiate. When the road is wet I'm even more careful. I agree that welding the diff might be feasible for someone without the funds to get a locker ( I am accustomed to being poor) but one should plan on totally changing their driving habits and start saving for a locker. The reliability of the entire drivetrain is compromised in a welded rear due to constant stress being added.

If you can't afford the $200 for an Aussie, you probably can't afford the extra tire wear a welded rear diff will give you.

And I would never weld a 27 spline rear end with 35's.. thats asking for trouble.

No, its not asking for trouble, its begging and pleading for it.

cal said:
If you can't afford the $200 for an Aussie, you probably can't afford the extra tire wear a welded rear diff will give you.

if you hang around craigslist and 4x4 forums long enough you can always get tires for dirt dirt dirt cheap. personally i haven't noticed this "extra tire wear" that everybody keeps talking about. i have noticed though that i wear alot more rubber when i'm stuck on a rock obstacle.

Back