• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ electrical Gremlins

andrey

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the deal, I havent had any gauge lights since my Xj was broken into.
I have tried all the fuses and they test fine. Replaced the Headlight Switch because I figured it was bad and not making contact. This is what I have found. the dimmer lead in the dash behind the stereo is hot when the lights are off and cold when they are. So i think there is something upstream that is going on, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. When I was replacing the light switch it arc'd a bit and blew the fuse, now I have no stereo, door locks or interior lights as well( the fuse is replaced and good but no juice)
1. Help getting power to the gauges
2. help getting power to the radio, door locks and lights

Did you check both fuse locations?

Nope thats all that I can think of. Unless there is an inline fuse. Could also be a screwy ground, thats a common criminal with electrical problems in 12v systems. I would start chasing wires, remove stereo, check where wiring goes through the firewall...

the fuse panel was burnt out for the radio door lock and interior light circuit. Bypassed it with an inline fuse and spade connectors.

The gauge cluster was a bad relay wiring; rewired and works...but dimmer still is bad.?
we'll see what happens

Dimmer is bad meaning that your interior lights are on and you can't dim them? Do you have a stock radio?

no the gauge ights are on when the lights are on but no dimmer function. everything works fine except that the ability to adjust the intensity of the lights is gone. The radiois aftermarket.

where is the gauge cluster relay? Im having a similar problem where my headlights will turn on, interior dome lights will come on when the dimmer knob is fully clicked on, but i haven't any gauge lights, especially not the ability to dim said lights.

-b

Back