• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why a clunk at accelerate from stop?

Dave Meyers

NAXJA Forum User
Hard to describe, but...I have a 2000 Classic, automatic and selectrac. When I lightly accelerate from a stop there is a clunk in the drive line somewhere. Not immediately, either, a fraction of a second after the truck starts moving. It does not happen in full time 4 wheel, only 2 high. At extremely light accelerator pressure it will not happen, and if I push a bit harder it will not happen either. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and identified possible causes before I pay someone $95 just to look at it. I am not opposed to checking things myself, I have experience re-building older 4x4 vehicles such as Scouts and CJ5's. Just need to know where to start. Thanks in advance. Dave

put the Transfer Lever in Neutral. Play with the rear driveshaft, see iff you notice any play in the Universal Joint. ( One at the top of d.s. and the one at axle yoke)

I was experiencing the same thing you are describing. I put the lift on and bam, no more clunk. The only thing I can think of is it was the sway bar. I got new sway bar links, and that was really the only new part.

-Andrew

RyanM said:
put the Transfer Lever in Neutral. Play with the rear driveshaft, see iff you notice any play in the Universal Joint. ( One at the top of d.s. and the one at axle yoke)
x2 my wifes was doing that and it was the u joint on the axle side in the back

Usually it's u-joints or on mine it was shock bushings. Also sometimes sway bar ot control arm bushings...

I'm thinking rear slip yoke. On a 2000 it is external and is not continiously lubricated.
Pull the rear DS and slide the boot off the yoke. Lubricate the shaft and splines. Reassemble.

See if that helps.

Zuki-Ron said:
I'm thinking rear slip yoke. On a 2000 it is external and is not continiously lubricated.
Pull the rear DS and slide the boot off the yoke. Lubricate the shaft and splines. Reassemble.
x2. Consider this reason #928 to go to an SYE...the slipyoke likes to load up on braking (when the rear of the Jeep rises a tad) and then sits under tension until you go. When you do, it will 'bang' and make you wonder WTF just happened...

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Mine was doing that and it was the bolts for the trans mount loose (just enough to move) tighened them up and good to go!!!!

There is an old thread that I found about a year ago. The symptom almost makes you think it is the beginning of a slipping trans.

If you drop the shaft and grease heavily (including loading the boot with grease) the slip yoke the problem will go away.

Did mine and no issues since.

Good Luck.

The "Mechanically Challenged"

Zuki-Ron said:

See if that helps.

X2. When pulling the boot, just cut the front band; use a zip tie to re-secure it. Leave the rear band on the DS. I used anti-seize on mine

Mine was caused by a badly owrn out motor mount on the driver side. The bolt would contact the metal housing of it and make a clunking noise on acceleration.

Back