• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj front end conversion

rubiconron

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a list of parts needed to swap the front end of an 88 MJ to say a 98 xj?

I've noticed a couple of guys have done the conversion......I'd just like to know how easy the conversion is.

Thanks,
Ron

Well, it will bolt right up.

You're swapping in the MJ axle into the XJ?? Is the XJ axle a disco axle? The XJ should have 297 shafts...the MJ probably doesn't.

If your'e going to do this I would swap the outer knuckles from the 98 onto the 88 axle, so you get the newer bearings and calipers. Not 100% sure if the knuckles are direct bolt on or not though....

Why are you doing this again?

I think he's talking about the front end sheetmetal swap.

OK I had no idea how that would have been misinterpreted (sp)!!!

My question refers mainly to the header panel and sheet metal.

However, my MJ was originally a 2wd. The previous owner put a dana 30 under the front. (I assume from an xj.)

What is the difference between a late 80s xj model dana 30 and a tj model dana 30?
I have a complete drivetrain out of a 98 TJ that I was thinking of swapping in!!

So please feel free to answer either "front end question"!!!

Thanks,
Ron

Here's what you need for the header panel swap...
97+ fenders
97+ header panel, grille, bezels, lights
97+ tie in brackets (the ones that tie the fenders to the front support)
97+ wiring harness (if you want to be technical, but you should use a couple plugs off of it anyway if you aren't doing the whole thing)
I did this to a 1990 XJ, let me know if you have any more questions.

TJ's are LP D30's,that would be a waste of time/money!

just call it a grill and be done with it. none of this fancy "header panel" crap

juniorXJ said:
just call it a grill and be done with it. none of this fancy "header panel" crap

The grille is the slotted insert in the header panel - which is purely cosmetic. The header panel holds the grill, headlights, parking lights, turn indicater lights, and a bunch other trim and stuff.

It's an important distinction as if you walk into a junkyard and ask for a grille, they would get you just that. Same as if you were to order aftermarket/NOS parts.

Back