• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant problems AGAIN!

DrewR

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning,

My 2001 has been cursed with coolant issues since I bought it three years ago. Three months after purchase, I had to put in a new radiator as the old one was rusted. Last month, the replaced radiator (that had less than 10,000 miles on it) failed as coolant was disappearing (no leaks). So, the dealership replaced the radiator, hoses, water pump, tstat, fan shroud and cleaned the heater core. Well, last night I nearly overheated sitting at a stop light and found that my coolant resevoir was empty! I suspect the heater core is clogged somehow is not allowing for proper circulation of coolant and needs replaced. What do you guys think? I really want this issue fixed once and for all. It should not be happening.

there may be a source of the disapearing coolant even if there are no leaks in the coolant system visable. its possible that you could be burning the coolant off, or it may be leaking into your oil system. check your oil to see if its turned into a milky or foamy consistancy. if it has, the coolant in leaking into your oil inside the engine. if not, then place a white paper towel under the tail pipe as the engine idles. if the engine is burning coolant, it will be visible on the paper towell i belive as a liquid the color of coolant condencing or dripping onto the towel.

also, be sure to check every connection, every hose, every seal you can with the coolant system to make sure you dont have a slow pin hole leak. i found it helpful to clean out the engine bay making sure to scrub leak prone areas and then go back and re examine a week or so later. the return of evidence of a leak told me that it was reoccuring in that location.

until the problem is found/ corrected i would recommend keeping at least a gallon jug of premixed 50/50 antifreeze solution in the jeep at all times. Check the coolant level at a minimum weekly (preferably every fill up- it doesnt take much time) and add as needed.

hth
stewie

I am starting to think someone is playing cruel magic tricks on me. Oil is fine, so it's not cracked. I suspect heater core as it was not replaced as new last month. Unless I am off base, coolant is supposed to circulate through the heater core also, right?

It's going to a different dealership on Monday. A new set of eyes might see something the other mechanics are not seeing.

Thanks guys...I have learned a lot about my Jeep through everyone here.

Enjoy the summer.
Andrew

if/when you do that, make sure you have them check for internal leaks. that sounds an awful lot like the ol' cracked head issue. in some cases the coolant won't show up in the oil, it just burns off down the cylinder(s).

the water pump is probably weeping when the engine is fully warmed up, look for chalky deposits on or around the pump.

its possible a freeze plug is weeping too, I've even seen the plugs at the rear of block leak into the transmission bell housing.

Last edited:
not sure if your year has a closed system. If it does, then try replacing your coolant overflow bottle cap. They are very cheap from quadratech.
I have been through a couple of them. when they go bad, the leak is so slow that it will be evaporated by the time you pop your hood and won't see any indication of a leak.

Back