• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats it like?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my first jeep, an 89 xj.

I was going to go with the Full size jeep guys on the 11 12 and 13, but seening as how i dont have an fsj, figures it might be better to try and make the xj convention :rof:

i know the fsj guys said low range is a must, what is the schedule like?

i may only be able to make it for a few days, dont know yet if i can afford to miss work and pay for gas etc etc etc

Most of the trails we're going to run aren't difficult at all- as long as you don't have a fear of heights.Its mostly "scenic" wheeling.Some of the descents are pretty steep and that is when low range is your friend.:thumbup:

I'm planning on posting a preliminary trail schedule sometime this weekend.

TLowery04 said:
Just got my first jeep, an 89 xj.

I was going to go with the Full size jeep guys on the 11 12 and 13, but seening as how i dont have an fsj, figures it might be better to try and make the xj convention :rof:

i know the fsj guys said low range is a must, what is the schedule like?

i may only be able to make it for a few days, dont know yet if i can afford to miss work and pay for gas etc etc etc

Other types of 4wd’s are welcome to wheel with the fsj’s. We’ve had several xj’s, tj’s, a zj, a scout, and an exploder join the group. The low-range required was added this year because of an incident last year where a cherokee “s” went up to hurricane pass with a non-low-range quadratrac. His brakes faded on the way back down corkscrew and he had to take an emergency route down a creek and into a rock berm to stop the vehicle. It was dubbed the flight of the dodo bird with no ill intent meant. Quite frankly if your brakes go out on these trails then low range isn’t going to matter because you will still be in a lot of dodo. Using low-range simply saves your brakes for when you really need them.

The biggest problems on these trails are stalling, overheating, vapor lock, and the afternoon monsoons that can hit the san juans with fury. Last year we had members stranded on Imogene and black bear due to mudslides that came shortly after the late afternoon rains came. It is best to be off the passes before late afternoon. I made it through the mudslides but others didn’t. Some of our members on black bear pass were stranded for four hours until they were plowed. Stalling on a switchback can be dangerous. At those altitudes the booster loses all power and it takes a good ten feet to get the brakes back. You usually don’t have ten feet extra on these trails.

Washouts on the trails are a real hazard. You need to pay attention at all times. We went by a wrangler on its top down in a stream because some flowers blocked the view of a little 18” washout on the road. He never even saw it when the front tire went in and then did a 2 ½ roll down the bank in to the stream. The guy got a pretty good bump on the head and was lucky.

You need to be able to identify altitude sickness. Anyone can get it even if you have been wheeling these trails for years. My passenger was showing signs near the top of Imogene and wanted to get out of my truck. I told him there’s no trail to get out on. My J20 was already wider than the trail in that spot and I was hugging the cliff side with a 1000” drop off on the passenger side at the tires. At a convenient place he got in the back seat of a waggy behind the driver’s seat so he wasn’t on the drop off side. It is very scary to be on the passenger side going up that trail from ouray. Scary stuff but I’ve made it over three times so far. It’s scary if you’re not in control of yourself. Personally I love it. There is a metal box near the top where you may leave a comment. Last year when I made it to the top the last entry said, “death stalked us today”. I had no further comment to add that day. If I had only known then that I would soon be going down the telluride side in a wicked storm with mudslides, lol. One year the trail was closed due to avalanche every morning. That trail is currently closed due to snow on the ouray side.

Keep an eye out on your jeep when you are parked. The marmots will eat the electrical wires to your fuel pump in a matter of minutes.

One of our texas members has been wheeling in the san juans for forty years. I have only been going for the last four years. He put together some info that may be useful. You may want to read about high altitude tips and no fear at ouray. Here’s a link.
tipshades.gif

http://groups.msn.com/ATexasOklahomaJeepClub/ouraycotopic.msnw

Back