• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator lead snapped, any way to fix?

MiCrOz

NAXJA Forum User
As you can see in the pics, of the two leads to the right, one's snapped (this is off a '95 XJ). Is there any way that this can be rigged to work without getting another alternator? The closest place to me isn't cheap and the cleapest place isn't close to get another. The 2nd picture is the connector that connects to those studs, I was thinking of just soldering a wire from the connector to the lead and just putting a disconnect in it if I ever have to remove the alternator again. Any ideas?

06-21-07_1740.jpg

06-21-07_1741.jpg

I would just solder it on there. Although, when you have to take it off next time, it's going to be a bitch...you'll just have to remember to heat it up and pull!

That sux that that little part broke. I hate how small those screws are and how difficult it is to get in there. Solder it and hope that you never have to deal with it again!

you're gonna find that the stud is soldered internally, so I'd start with soldering externally and hope for the best! worst case, remove the back housing and replace the stud (and resolder the connection). A paperclip will help hold the brushes in place during reassembly on the Nippondenso alt. IIRC
I haven't been inside one of them in years, but I believe they have a hole that allows you to insert a paperclip and hold the brushes away from the shaft for installation.
--Shorty

Thanks for the input. I wound up just returning it to the junkyard I got it from and got a refurbished one with a lifetime warrenty (I have bad luck with alternators)

Back