• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter bypass pipe?

DIABLOBLANCO8658

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a bypass pipe for Cherokees?
Anything prior to 1998 in NC doesnt have to have anything
but a safety inspection now.

I've always just used a length of pipe. If nobody will sell you one anymore (like here in IN), you can use flexible exhaust tubing. You'll be replacing that in about 6-8 months, tho. I would just go to an exhaust shop, and buy a 18" length of pipe...or an 18" tailpipe to stick in there

As long as your Jeep isn't OBD-II just use a piece of pipe. If it is OBD-II (96+) you will need to get what they call a test pipe that has a bung for an 02 sensor in it. I've always heard the 96+ don't run very well even with a test pipe in it though. If the info in your profile is right you have a 92 though, so you should be okay with a straight pipe.

I just replaced my whole exhaust.I cut the flange on the front pipe,got a 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 reducer.Auto Zone had 18" long pieces of pipe that were 2 1/2 ID on 1 side and 2 1/2 OD on the other.I bought 2 of them put them together and ran them into the DynoMax muffler.It sounds awesome and I can really tell a difference in performance.

It always disappoints me to hear people ask how to disable or remove a piece of equipment that doesn't affect performance and helps keep the air that much cleaner.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

DIABLOBLANCO8658 said:
My exhaust is only 2 yrs old but its screaming to be set free.

I know, I know..... Lysergic acid diethylamide ( C20 H25 N3O ) seemed like a really good idea at the time, but I DON"T THINK YOUR EXHAUST is screaming....

Your hallucinating.

Yucca-Man said:
It always disappoints me to hear people ask how to disable or remove a piece of equipment that doesn't affect performance and helps keep the air that much cleaner.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I don't have one. I had a nest of mice living in mine, so it had to be removed. I don't know what the hell was going on at the time, but a replacement was gonna be 350 bucks! I couldn't afford that, so it just got removed. Alberta is the only place in Canada where it's legal to do that too. I'm not bragging, I really don't like that. I'm gonna get a new one when I can afford it, but until then, I'll just drive my other XJ, the one WITH a catalytic converter.

I have read numerous places that a modern engine (Do ours count? lol) that is tuned to run properly, can put cleaner air out of the exhaust than it takes in. I kinda think it's mostly just swapping poisons, I dunno. But what a nice dream to have anyway.

jesterbomb said:
I have read numerous places that a modern engine (Do ours count? lol) that is tuned to run properly, can put cleaner air out of the exhaust than it takes in. I kinda think it's mostly just swapping poisons, I dunno. But what a nice dream to have anyway.
Sucks about the price, but that's C$350, right? Was that from dealer, or parts store pricing? I put a generic OBD-II high-flow from NAPA on mine, and it was about $100 IIRC...with no performance hits.

Yeah, I've heard the "cleaner exhaust than intake" thing before as well, but I guarantee that the anecdotal vehicle had the complete exhaust and sensor package.

Jim

Rev Den said:
Great another 92 XJ that is gonna run like shit.

He will be back here in a few wondering where all his torque went.

Moron.

Rev
Don't mean to start up an arguement about this, but hasn't it been proven by 5-90 and others that the 4.0 doesn't need backpressure?

I'm not sure where the price came from actually. I was having an overhaul done at a shop my uncle goes to (In a town i was only living in every other weekend) and that's what he told me. However, since it's a 91' It doesn't make the CEL pop all the time. It was major dollars once everything was added up, and I just couldn't justify the money. So far, it hasn't hurt anything (Other than the environment:bawl: ) that i know of. And i was able to pay off the loan from my uncle sooner.

Besides, when you go over budget and have to borrow money, it's nice the cost down. Neither my uncle or I could afford what any of the repairs cost, but it was " loan me money so I can make money ". The longer my jeep sat in the shop, the more money i was losing.

But I am gonna throw one back in. I'm not a tree-hugger, but I will wave at one as i go by.

DIABLOBLANCO8658 said:
Does anyone make a bypass pipe for Cherokees?
Anything prior to 1998 in NC doesnt have to have anything
but a safety inspection now.

It's still against Federal law to remove or disable a cat, regardless of whether the car is subject to local emissions testing.

Unless it being an ho vs. a renix will make that big of a difference, I'm gonna call bs. I'm not saying removing the cat is the best thing in the world, but I personally prefer to run without one. I run a cheap turbo muffler, no cat, and it runs great and has lots of torque. It purrs like a kitten at idle and doesn't miss a beat at speed. In other word, it does NOT run like shit. As far as emissions go, I believe keeping your vehicle properly tuned is far more important.

Rev Den said:
Great another 92 XJ that is gonna run like shit.

He will be back here in a few wondering where all his torque went.

Moron.

Rev

Back