• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS bolts sheared

mailtruck

NAXJA Forum User
I went to change out the TPS on my 1996 with a 4.0L and the bolts were extremely stuck. I ended up shearing the heads off the bolts and now am at a loss on how to remove the bolts out of the throttle body. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Too late now, the OEM TPS bolts have locktite green on them. If you had removed the TB and put it in a vice, used a 1/2" heavy ratchet, 3/8-1/2" adapter and the correct torx it would have worked. I have never gotten a TPS off successfully with it mounted on the engine.
You should have the ends sticking out, two approaches, cut a slot in them for straight screwdriver or flatten two sides for a wrench.
Friend of mine with the shop, he just crushes the dam thing and breaks it apart then goes after the bolts.

I had one of the torx bolts strip.

I just took a Dremell tool and ground the head off, and the TPS slid off the remaining stud. I was then able to grab the remaining stud with some channel locks to remove it... Pretty simple actually.

Ivan said:
I had one of the torx bolts strip.

I just took a Dremell tool and ground the head off, and the TPS slid off the remaining stud. I was then able to grab the remaining stud with some channel locks to remove it... Pretty simple actually.
I really need to develope my searching skills.:doh:

I just got out of the 90* plus heat and spending 3 hours getting one torx bolt out. I tried to save time by not pulling the TB but, we know that rarely saves time. I wanted to save the TPS to throw in my trail kit if, it didn't solve my AW4 shifting problem. Didn't happen. I broke it saving the bolt. Being new to Jeeps, I figured that a fuel filter and the TPS would be 1/2 an hr tops
comp11.gif
. I have a lot to learn. I wish I had found this thread in my searches.

You may still be able to drill them out if you have a drill press. Retap the holes and replace the bolts with NON torx bolts (I hate torx) But if that fails try the junkyard for a new TB. I always have my old one as a spare but it is Renix.

Back