• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Adapter Torx Tool: The "Butthole"

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
Well I changed my oil adapter o-rings today (finally) and there was no tool at the auto stores for me to fit in that !*@%$#ing tight crammed space. Their the t-60 bits were way to long, so I made my own tool.
I used:
a t-60 bit from a multi torx kit at autozone ($15)
cheapo 17mm open/closed end wrench
miller mig welder

The "Butt Hole"
2007_0618Image0011.JPG

As you can see, I can't weld at all. So my attempt to make this tool was a success but kinda messy. I just punded the torx bit into the closed end side and then ground it down a little. After I tried to weld, I looked at my work and decided to give this magic tool a name.

Just wanted to let everyone know your "butthole" may be your new best friend.
Enjoy!

I thought you going to be referring to the Butthole engineer who said thats a great idea lets go with it

AHH that Butthole AKA Asshat must be the same guy that decides to put the torx head on the top of my bellhousing and use a french tranny.

My current bout with the Butthole is related to boxing in the leaf spring front nut and giving it a shotty weld.

Sorry about the rant

Love the tool.

Holy booger welds! You weld like me (I'm hideously out of practise...)

That's why I'm trying to collect one of each adapter screw (I've got a 5/8" hex head and a T-60 to measure, so I still need the one with the hex recess,) so I can make replacements to take a regular wrench (like my RENIX. I blame Chrysler - AMC used a hex head - I just needed a 5/8" box wrench for mine...)

5-90 said:
Holy booger welds! You weld like me (I'm hideously out of practise...)

That's why I'm trying to collect one of each adapter screw (I've got a 5/8" hex head and a T-60 to measure, so I still need the one with the hex recess,) so I can make replacements to take a regular wrench (like my RENIX. I blame Chrysler - AMC used a hex head - I just needed a 5/8" box wrench for mine...)

LOL my brother likes to call these welds "pigeon $h!ts" and yeah... it does look like that!
Did you wanna collect my "butthole" tool?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
I thought you going to be referring to the Butthole engineer who said thats a great idea lets go with it
AHH that Butthole AKA Asshat must be the same guy that decides to put the torx head on the top of my bellhousing and use a french tranny.
My current bout with the Butthole is related to boxing in the leaf spring front nut and giving it a shotty weld.
Sorry about the rant
Love the tool.
AHAHA I cant stop laughin, I too hate that butthole/asshat.

selarep said:
LOL my brother likes to call these welds "pigeon $h!ts" and yeah... it does look like that!
Did you wanna collect my "butthole" tool?

AHAHA I cant stop laughin, I too hate that butthole/asshat.

The tool? No, thanks - I already know it's a T-60. And, to be perfectly honest, I could probably take an angle grinder to make flats on a shank and just braze the damn thing in place cleaner. 10 out of 10 for ingenuity, but -10 for the booger welds (don't worry - I'd give myself the same marks welding. Besides, the Chrome plate on the wrench got in your way as well - brazing doesn't get as hot as welding, which is why I use it more often.)

However, if anyone reading this has a hex socket screw for the oil adapter, I'd like to get it from you (on a temporary or permanent basis - I don't care. Just make sure you won't need it back in a hurry...)

Also any one else reading this as well, if you would like to get the tool from me, just send me $10 paypal and I'll 2-day ship it to you.
I have no use for it now! The welds are ugly, but they work! lol

Why did you weld it ? glob of JB or thick super glue would have held it in for the job....

RichP said:
Why did you weld it ? glob of JB or thick super glue would have held it in for the job....

because a glob of JB weld or some krazy glue would have not stopped the circular bit from free spinning inside the closed end of the box wrench.
at least i dont think so, after i pounded it in there, it spun around with some a little resistance.

I like the tool, but I found a different solution when I had to do it:

I picked up that same T60 bit from Autozone and realized they were two pieces. The black part with the Torx head, and the chrome base to attach to the ratchet. Threw it in a vise and pounded out the torx bit, and slipped the appropriate wrench over the hex shaft.
In order to initially break that bolt loose I threw a cheater bar over the wrench, but once it started to go I threw a cheap ratcheting wrench on there. It was a very simple yet successful setup that didn't render any tools useless.

I just throw the torq bit into a pair of vice grips. Same thing, and you don't have to modify any tools.

zith said:
I like the tool, but I found a different solution when I had to do it:

I picked up that same T60 bit from Autozone and realized they were two pieces. The black part with the Torx head, and the chrome base to attach to the ratchet. Threw it in a vise and pounded out the torx bit, and slipped the appropriate wrench over the hex shaft.
In order to initially break that bolt loose I threw a cheater bar over the wrench, but once it started to go I threw a cheap ratcheting wrench on there. It was a very simple yet successful setup that didn't render any tools useless.

I know what bit you're talking about, its a two piece bit. the one I used was a one piece in a kit that had a 1/4" screw driver and the other half of the set was 3/8" drive.
I had the bit you used then I 1st started working on but I didnt want to pount it out of there so I got another get that I could beat up and waste.

Vice grips... aye. I tried but they are to wide for my big hands to fit in that tight space.

Hey, nothing wrong with a nice strong booger weld! Remember too that neither the wrench nor the socket is ordinary steel. I can weld a coffee can if I have to, but I'm not going to waste time being pretty on an emergency tool.

Two piece bit welded to a cheap stamped-steely Yamaha box wrench, bent to fit. It still took a two foot cheater bar to pop that bolt loose.
boogerweldrz4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

spudly said:
I used SKIM's bit and a 10mm wrench at first. I kept slipping and hitting everything in the wheel well.

I ordered a set of L-Torx off of e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/L-Torx-6-Piece-Set-Key-Set_W0QQitemZ3875374059QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42337QQcmdZViewItem and a section of pipe from ACE:

ltorx.jpg

You can see where I got a little happy with the small one on the threaded side.

:clap: Exactly what I did...the pipe I bought came from Lowes and it had orange plastic thingies on the ends to prtect the threads, with a hole that held the wrench perfectly, $2 something. Been all over town with it fixing peoples adapters. People I know of course.

thanks for the ebay link. I just clicked it and bought a set. Been needing to do this for awhile. Kept putting it off cause I had read the horrow stories. However L-Torx and a piece of pipe I can handle

Back