• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem with 91 xj...

millertime

NAXJA Forum User
Well i bought this 91 xj a few weeks ago and its in great shape but ive been having a problem with it starting. It turns over kinda hard for a few seconds or so then fires up. but today it almost didnt start. It has gotten progressivly worse over the last few weeks ive owned it.

It could be as simple as the battery is dieng (even though it apears to be fairly new), but i really have no clue. My stock voltage guage and my aftermarket one both read at about 14volts so im guessing my alt is fine.

any ideas other than the obvious of "change the battery" you guys can think of?
thanks,
-Jesse

Clean the battery contacts.
You never know how bad it looks under the veil of clean perception.
I would never suggest to change the battery.

My sisters ZJ did the same thing, batt. was damn near new, so we figured maybe the starter was going bad, I pulled the starter, had it tested, it was good, cleaned up all the connections and reinstalled the starter, started great, but weird ticking noise, pulled back off the starter to notice it was hitting the flexplate after turning over the engine, simply reinstalled it, the right way, and good as new! bad thing is then she wrecked it, so now its sitting in the driveway waiting for the insurance company. SO, clean off all ur connections to ur starter, and if that doesnt work, pull it and have it tested at like autozone or advance.

Back