• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" super ride

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to order #6025 with OME shocks.

'88 Auto 4.0

Looking for a simple start so I can run 31" or more on the street for now.

Should I get shims to improve angle?
Should I get the track bar to eliminate the relocation?

What else might possibly come up that I should be prepared for?

I know I can upgrade with disconnects, etc later. Right now I need tires and want to get get the 31" to fit for street use.

I'm looking for the same advice . I have a '93 Country and want to do the same . DD , so need to keep it mild .

With a pre 96 XJ, your rear driveline should be alright. A shim kit would definitely help you out a bit, but not 100% necessary. I say do it.

Just remove both of the swaybars....you won't be needing them anymore.

Not familiar with the kit...you'll need to get a longer rear brake hose. The fronts will be just about at their limits, but you can just move the mount down a tiny bit and be alright.

You'll need a new tie rod...they bend real easy.

at 3" the axle wont' be too far off center. A better tracbar would just increase your flex. Not the cheap TRE style ones, the double shear style or JKS style ones. Being an 88, you may want a new one cause it's probably toast by now anyways. Either stock, or aftermarket will do.

I DDed an XJ with rusty's HD 3" lift and 31s and then 32s for almost 3 years, and for about 2 years prior to that an MJ with 3" lift. Worked great, mileage will vary. I noticed a gas mileage increase once I threw on one of those stock front skid plates.

Prepare for broken bolts. Use TONZ of PB blaster before hand. YOu'll still break some bolts, definitely the upper rear shock bolts. Get some BPEs to go in place. Also, you'll want new Ubolts. An alignment is mandatory.

I have that kit with new rear springs. I would recomend getting a new track bar and shims you might need, they are pretty cheap, i didnt use then but a transfer case drop is needed to get rid of most of the vibs. you will most likey break the rear shock bolts so be ready for that. just take your time and be patient. good luck
-Jeff

I put the 3.5 RE with rear leaf spring, RE adjustable trac-bar and JKS disco's on my 85 XJ. I originally put in the t-case drop spacers but then took them out. Have not had any vibration issues. I pulled stock fender flares and cut fenders to clear 32's and soon 33's.

John

I have the same questions, but with a 99XJ np242. I plan on getting the rusty's 3" w/ aal. What should I expect to buy later to fix vibe problems?

Shims, Track Bar, LCA's?

Back