• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator question?

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
I've asked about an overdrive pulley before with no response, so I just went and found one original was 57mm this one is 54mm so slightly smaller. My questions am I going to burn up my alternator? On the older alternator I'm sure its not a prob. but with my 99 nippodenso unit will it be a problem? Please advise?

Considering ND is Japanese, and used on a number of Japanese vehicles as well (and you know how those guys can get...) you probably won't have a problem. Besides, it's not like your pully is half the size of the one it's replacing.

54m/m dia = ~170m/m circumference
57m/m dia = ~179m/m circumference

Difference? About a 5% overdrive, should be.

Why for are you overdriving your alternator? Trying to get more output, or trying to get full output at a lower RPM? If the latter, you're on the right track. If the former, you're going to want a bigger alternator anyhow (voltage output can be as much a matter of the alternator's armature and field windings as anything else - higher current units have more windings, usually using a slightly smaller gage of wire so it fits in the same case.)

like most everyone on here I spend alot of time at idle or low rpm (crawling and such) and need higher output at idle. Thanks alot...., I was scared to go to small so when I did the math, I thought 5-10% would be a good test run on the idea

mgreen84 said:
like most everyone on here I spend alot of time at idle or low rpm (crawling and such) and need higher output at idle. Thanks alot...., I was scared to go to small so when I did the math, I thought 5-10% would be a good test run on the idea

Yeah - if you go too small, you're going to accelerate bearing and brush wear. I'd figure a 10% overdrive to be about the limit - maybe 15% for us, since we live at low RPM anyhow. Maybe.

I don't figure you want to go through alternators like popcorn, tho... The ND is a reasonably hardy unit (although I still prefer Delcos) and will handle some abuse.

I used micorgauges to measure my OE and went to the junkyard and found one slightly smaller.

The srt8 grand Cherokees have alternators made by nd and redline at 6500 rpms. Pretty sure that's about 50% overdrive from anything my xj is ever going to see?

Not the point I was making. A similar designed alternator can be spun safely at nearly 7000 rpm, pretty sure your alternator will be fine at 10% overdrive.

Back