• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help

gage78

NAXJA Forum User
My 85 2.5l xj is acting kinda weird here, last couple of days it has started to diesel pretty bad, then doesn't wanna restart afterwards. To top it off last night it almost stranded me on the side of the road engine started to cut out then died. I honestly thought I'd lost the timing chain. It finally restarted after that but this morning it wouldn't start again, I pulled plugs checked spark coil etc. put it ack together and it fired up but wouldn't idle without my foot in it a little then it had the surgin idle for a few minutes. Anyone have any ideas.

It is carbed and this is cali so I have all the smog bs on it though it passes with flying colors thanks to a new cat and the fact it was towed behind a motorhome for 12 years. it's only gone 4,000 miles since 98, and I"ve put most of those on since I bought it a year ago

Back