• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25

imboostedru

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered more times than anyone can count, but when did Chrysler start using 29 spline axle shafts in the 8.25? Everywhere you look you get a different answer.
Thanks
Shawn

I know that's what I am trying to get at. Some places say they started making them 29 in 95 some say 96. If you look throught a 4WD catalog they even have 2 different ads with diffent year/spline.

bottom line is at some point in 1996, if you have a 96 the only way to tell is pull them and count unless you have xray vision or can obtain the info from the manufacturer.

I recommend pulling and counting. I know it's a PITA...but you know what really sux?? Trying to put a 27spline lock-rite into an 8.25 with 29 splines. Yeah, they don't fit so well.

Also, that wikipedia article forgot that Dana 35s were available after 96. I know a guy with a 99XJ with every option, ABS front and rear, and a trac-loc in the Dana 35 rear axle.

Last edited:
mjma said:
Also, that wikipedia article forgot that Dana 35s were available after 96. I know a guy with a 99XJ with every option, ABS front and rear, and a trac-loc in the Dana 35 rear axle.
It's Wiki...so it ain't really believable.

It's easy to determine if the XJ had a D35. They were available 1984-2001 model years. If it was an 87, or some very rare 88 or 89, it might have a D44 rear. If it was after the C8.25 was introduced in 1991, if the XJ had ABS then it had the D35. Simple.

The breakpoint between 27- and 29-spline C8.25 occurred sometime mid-model-year 1996. I won't believe that it was a clean break either...the Toledo factory had a knack for changing over to the new parts, and then finding another bin full of the old ones that would get installed.

I changed it to say 97-2001 Dana35, ABS.

Yeah, definitely not a clean break. Nothing could be that easy.

Back