• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sideways / Rolled Over

Redcbr007

NAXJA Forum User
Those of you who have tipped on its side or rolled over on the trail....

If it runs more then a couple seconds on its side before you shut it down, do you notice oil in the exhaust and it smoking like a mofo from the oil sucked into the exhaust valves and now burning on the hot exhaust?

Fouled the plugs...etc?

Once plugs are swapped out and its on its wheels again, its back to normal, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

-Red

Redcbr007 said:
Those of you who have tipped on its side or rolled over on the trail....

If it runs more then a couple seconds on its side before you shut it down, do you notice oil in the exhaust and it smoking like a mofo from the oil sucked into the exhaust valves and now burning on the hot exhaust?

Fouled the plugs...etc?

Once plugs are swapped out and its on its wheels again, its back to normal, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same.

-Red

Mine ran for about 10 minutes before the oil pressure finally went too low.
I almost had it standing up again when I broke the left front hub and it fell again.
bodyshop03.jpg

bodyshop04.jpg

So yours was on its side idling for 10 minutes before you started getting oil sucked in??

hmmm, mine gets on its side for over 45 seconds to 1 min and smoke will start to happen from oil in the exhaust...I wonder whats going on!!??

-Red

Redcbr007 said:
So yours was on its side idling for 10 minutes before you started getting oil sucked in??

hmmm, mine gets on its side for over 45 seconds to 1 min and smoke will start to happen from oil in the exhaust...I wonder whats going on!!??

-Red

Well jeezus, quit putting it on it's side! :D Less time thinking about oil in the exhaust and more time thinking your line. :thumbup:

Mine seemed to run fine for a long time on the passenger side. Didn't smoke while laid over or when I put it back up, didn't really spill anything either.

DSC01797.JPG

On the driver's side later that weekend it seemed to smoke a little after I restarted it, and it wasn't even laid over all that much. This pic is tilted a little bit and it got a little worse, but not much.

DSC01815.JPG

I flopped a CJ on it's side but the carb let it die fast and the spotters had me right side up in seconds. The reason I flopped over is because I did't follow the cardnal rule. Allwas steer in the direction of the roll. Natual tendency is "I don't want to go down there" and you steer up hill. Bad plan allways,allways steer in the direction of the roll even if it means driving into a ditch or off a hill side.

Vetteboy, I noticed when on the driverside is when it smoke, not really on the passangerside. I wonder if its the PVC system sucking it into the intake, the out the exhuast..anything more then a 60degree on the drives side seems to suck the oil in and out the exahust....

-Red

DaffyXJ said:
Mine ran for about 10 minutes before the oil pressure finally went too low.
I almost had it standing up again when I broke the left front hub and it fell again.
bodyshop03.jpg

bodyshop04.jpg

looking at these pics makes me realize that I am soooooo softcore.....

IntrepidXJ said:
i have had an issue with my 92 XJ for many years, that if i was leaned too hard to the drivers side for any period of time, i would get a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. didn;t even have to be flopped or rolled, just off-camber a ways

What did you do to resolve it?!

Thanks

-Red

IntrepidXJ said:
i have had an issue with my 92 XJ for many years, that if i was leaned too hard to the drivers side for any period of time, i would get a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. didn;t even have to be flopped or rolled, just off-camber a ways

Yeah, this is what I was saying. It didn't seem to be nearly as big an issue while on/leaning towards the passenger side.

Anyone know why this is?

2000xj4x4 said:
what kind of t/c skid is on daffyxj's rig?
That's a rustys t-case skid. It held up pretty well. Since then I put in the Atlas and had to make a new one to cover the new T-case.

Redcbr007 said:

-Red
Yeah well it's an 01 with like 40k miles on it. everything is still tight, no blow by, no valve guide issues.

I had mine on its side for about 5 minutes. We took the spark plugs out and cranked the engine to spit out all the oil that had gotten into the cylinders. Replaced the plugs and started it up and it smoked like crazy for several minutes.

But this is probably not what you're talking about. :)

IMG_0082.jpg

xjohnnyc said:
I had mine on its side for about 5 minutes. We took the spark plugs out and cranked the engine to spit out all the oil that had gotten into the cylinders. Replaced the plugs and started it up and it smoked like crazy for several minutes.

But this is probably not what you're talking about. :)

IMG_0082.jpg

This made me realize I want an exocage.

Back