• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quality ride 4" lift

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
1988, 4.0 Auto, Laredo.

Gonna need tires pretty soon, want to get the lift done and run 31-32's. Mostly street use, with trail exploring type off road hopes. Need soft ride, needs to be very streetable yet provide a bit of trail confidence (tires will probably do most of that)

Jeepinoutfitters shows an OME 3" for $779 which includes OME shocks. Add Bushings and U-bolt kit and I am at $836 for what appears to be a quality ride 3" lift. Includes sway bar discos.

So, I am thinking add an OME steering stab. Greasable 1" shackles, 3/4" front spacers if needed to even things out. And a set of 4deg. shims if needed to improve DS angle. I am at $1,040, for a quality ride 4" lift.

Any other places I should look? Any other kits I should consider?

Thanks

RE 3.5" super ride. it will clear 31's without trimming and rides better than stock.

bl87xj said:
1988, 4.0 Auto, Laredo.

Gonna need tires pretty soon, want to get the lift done and run 31-32's. Mostly street use, with trail exploring type off road hopes. Need soft ride, needs to be very streetable yet provide a bit of trail confidence (tires will probably do most of that)

Jeepinoutfitters shows an OME 3" for $779 which includes OME shocks. Add Bushings and U-bolt kit and I am at $836 for what appears to be a quality ride 3" lift. Includes sway bar discos.

So, I am thinking add an OME steering stab. Greasable 1" shackles, 3/4" front spacers if needed to even things out. And a set of 4deg. shims if needed to improve DS angle. I am at $1,040, for a quality ride 4" lift.

Any other places I should look? Any other kits I should consider?

Thanks
I ran 4" with 31s for years. OME + front spacers and rear shackles. The ride is great. It flexes very well too.
You will find a few things are now too short at flex...
-The OME shock will be too short when you flex at 4". I built some spacers so I could keep the OME shocks.
-Get extended brake lines.
-Check the e-brake cable lengths.
-Drive line vibes should be expected. I had minimal vibes and ran a YJ slip yoke for it's great working angle.
-Front pinion angle vs caster angle may be an issue. I ran Pro Comp fixed lower and stock upper control arms. The angles work for me. Several people have control arm measurements posted. Set the pinion angle first as it would have priority over caster.

Check into OME at DPG Off Road and Rocky Road Outfitters too. Talk to several places to make sure you know all the parts you need.

O.K. I gotta keep this simple. I keep letting my parts list and scope of upgrade snowball.

Now I am leaning toward the RE 3.5" super ride #6025. At $ 604.95 + shocks it is do able now.

So two questions:

1) Are the OME shocks worth the $$$? Will there be a noticable difference in ride quality?

2) Is it reasonable to expect the kit to bolt on and go with no major issues? I know of the potential vibration, etc. I can deal with those issues in time, but I can't have my heep on blocks in the driveway.

Edit: Short shopping list shows
RE 6025, OME shocks, old style disconnects = $ 965.85
OME kit, RE lower CA, RE u-bolts, RE, break line, = $ 1,030.95 (+$65.00)

So it really comes down to ride quality RE vs. OME

Last edited:
in my opinion the OME shocks are worth every penny, i have been running them on and off road for about 4 months now and i wouldnt have it any other way. the RE kit is bolt on, expect tight hardware when pulling stuff off and make sure to use PB in advance. But otherwise its a farely easy kit to install.

but why arent you going with the superflex? you get the better SF joints which will allow for more flex and better off road use. Also look into an adj tracbar because the 3.5in kit will throw off your axle a bit and unless you relocate your current tracbar you will need it.

-Kyle

I was thinking either RE or Full Traction, although I've never heard of anyone use the Full Traction kit. It's a little more money than the RE kit but has more stuff in it.

codyyy said:
I was thinking either RE or Full Traction, although I've never heard of anyone use the Full Traction kit. It's a little more money than the RE kit but has more stuff in it.

are you talking about this full traction kit?
http://www.full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=4&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=97&NOTES=20

if so avoid that kit, for reasons listed below
AAL (the OP has a 88 and chances are that his leaf packs wont hold up to the AAL)
Bushings

go with the RE kit, its a very complete solid kit
-Kyle

Who is quoting you $600 for that RE superRIDE kit? they run for $345 shipped from 4wheelparts in California....

I run the RE 3.5" Super Flex kit on a daily driver. 90% of its driving is street, and it rides better than stock. The Super Ride kit is basically the same thing but with rubber LCA bushings to isolate road noise and smooth out the ride. Get the Super Ride kit with full leaf packs and RE monotubes, and you'll have enough clearance to get over the rough stuff, and a better than stock on-road ride.

selarep said:
Who is quoting you $600 for that RE superRIDE kit? they run for $345 shipped from 4wheelparts in California....

you are referring to the AAL kit, the OP is referring to the full leaf pack kit

-Kyle

At 4"s of lift, the front control arm angles are going to be steep and will provide a much harsher ride than stock.
To get back to a more comfortable ride either dropped brackets or long arms are in order. Springs and shocks alone cannot fix this problem.

Back