• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight and lighting problem 1989 XJ

2lazy2p

NAXJA Forum User
Recently got well used 1989 xj for a "project" headlights, interior,dash lights do not work. I checked all the fuses I can find, the one problem is the "Radio" fuse (15A) was missing, when replaced it blows promptly, I assume a short down stream and I am currently looking for it, the headlight wiring diagrams show a headlight fuse, it looks to be "in line" but I can't find it, also there is a row of relays passenger side under hood over right tire, there is no lable or cap with a label. I am semi new to cherokees have a TJ we modified and are having fun with while I polish this tird, thanks for any help and advice.

Fuse Panel.....
fusepnl2sj0.jpg

Relays...........

relay20location4mj6ru.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks the pictures are very helpful, I tested the headlight switch it's ok, as is the dimmer switch. There is no power to the headlight switch either ( i tested with a 12 volt light tester. How can I find where the power originates to the headlight system circuits? The wiring around the voltage regulator and those afore mentioned relays is a mess. Thanks again,

that would be a fuse link, or fuse 8 or B on my '88 schematic. Could have been model change but should be a fairly direct link to battery.
can't help on where..

There are 2 maybe 3 fusible links somewhere around the starter relay...:dunno:

they must be on the starter relay. that is as close as my print indicates. it's just a harness diagram. the two i see have a female round, wire post connector on them as if to go to a terminal block.
this is the best i can help you with.
10,11 are shown as fuse links.
21 is a 1.2 ohm resistor.
on the '88 the wires to the correct link are red, red/black
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1316/566984833_d1ba3149d2_o.jpg

Thanks for the harness diagram, I'll have a go at it later today, since there are so many things to do I am going to order the Techincal manuals from the manufacturer, the local autoshop books are somewhat short on location of electrical things, is there some standard methodology for testing relays?

Again, thanks Churky, I found the burned out fusable link, at connector B1, it is a green wire straight off the battery pole of the starter relay,it has small print on the wire itself labeled as a fusable wire,#10 on the diagram you linked to me, there were 5 eyelets with wires attached to the pole, I have yet to fix it, ran out of time this evening, sure looks like the problem, what made is blow is the next chapter of this saga, soon to be answered, further adventures ahead, I really do appreciate the help and this forum, it will make this project even more fun.

lights are fixed turned out to be a burned out fusable link at the attachment toe the starter relay battery pole. Thanks to all.

Back