• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about hoods

I have a 2000 xj and have a 1" spacer kit. It's just a 1" piece of aluminum with holes in it. Just have him measure the distance b/w the center of the two bolts on the bracket. thats the only factor you have to take into account. let him know when he does go and install it he will want to have a 2nd person on hand to help hold the hood and let it down slowly before he tightens it down the first time to check the gap clearances. On mine it appeared the hood could go forward enough to slam into the header panel but if he adjusts it it will be fine.

hood should have come with limiting straps on it to prevent passenger compartment intrusion. I believe it's DOT mandated that the manufacturers include some sort of rear hood restraint on all vehicles.
--Shorty

If you check ebay you'll see a bunch of hoods for sale and most of them indicate 87-01, so i'd say they have the same mounts. when you make the spacer, just drill the holes a little bigger so he can have some wiggle room. thebrick, The hood is still just as firmly attached at the front and back as it was originally. the dangers of this mod is that you now comprimised the weatherstrip seal at the back of the hood allowing water to now run down the back of the firewall. But if you are doing this to reduce underhood temps, and your other option is installing hood vents where you will allow water to drop straight down on your TPS and IAC, i'd prefer the water trickle down my firewall. I have been running this mod for about a year now with no ill effects (no sensors damaged or rust on the firewall or anything else you'd put on a list of possible sideeffects from this mod). I remember i used my digital wireless household thermometer and but the transmitter under the hood taped to the airbox. I don't recall the number of degrees the temp dropped but i remember it DID lower the underhood temperature by a few degrees in the mid summer where its was in the high 80's,low 90's. It did NOT however reduce my engine temp which is what i was really hoping for!!!

Shorty said:
hood should have come with limiting straps on it to prevent passenger compartment intrusion. I believe it's DOT mandated that the manufacturers include some sort of rear hood restraint on all vehicles.
--Shorty

So thats why those cables are there.....I always wondered why those were there....

I just measured my 2000 hood bolts. there is exactly 5cm between the center of one bolt and the center of the 2nd bolt.
Prowler, the rain doesn't seem to bother it. I haven't had any failed sensors or rust or anything like that as a result of this.

outlander said:
So thats why those cables are there.....I always wondered why those were there....

Don't trust that. I had the hood fly up on the highway once. (The latch froze open, the hood froze shut. Bad situation all around) The hinge bent, and the "Safety cable" pulled right out of it's little crimp on connector. I fixed the hinge, but never bothered with the cable. I guess I could fix it, but i'd rather replace it with something of the non-crimp variety.

Prowler said:
How's the rain on this mod???
Probably no too bad most would evaporate or get blown past when driving.
However when you are parked?

Do you notice it running any cooler?

Mine runs a bit cooler with 1" AL spacers.....and rain doesn't bother it at all, would think that people with the hood vents would have a problem with rain though.....?

I have small hood vents that are angled into the wind, with the down ward slope of the hood and the openings only 4" by 1/2", their is no problem when parked and at speed the small amount of water that does get in evaporates before it can do any real harm.
Sam

Last edited:
Sorry guys...what is this 'cable' you guys are referring to? I have a 2000 XJ, I don't see any cable attached to the hood...all I see is the cable to release the latch...

thanks,

thebrick said:
Sorry guys...what is this 'cable' you guys are referring to? I have a 2000 XJ, I don't see any cable attached to the hood...all I see is the cable to release the latch...

thanks,
On my 88 they are attachhed to the hinges one on each.

While we are on the subject, what do you guys think about removing the under hood liner? Pros- possably run cooler, cons- paint damage due to heat from engine?

I doubt those little cables are "safety" cables. The forces involved with hoods opening at freeway speeds and in collisions will easily over-power them. They look more like grounding cables than anything.

Back