• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Bypass(mine is broken not just dirty)

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ with a AW4 tranny. While cleaning my NSS one of my tools got bumped and fell on it so it's toast. I need to know how to bypass the NSS, just in case I can't find one at the yard. I need to get my DD up and runnning ASAP. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Connect the B & C pins on the connector

Last edited:
unplug the harness and put a female wire connector over the two lower center pins
or........
you can cut the green wire to the starter and hit it on the positive terminal of the battery, but you have to pop your hood to do that.

I prefer to run the green wire inside the cab to a push button and run power from the fuse box

langer1 said:
The NSS is also the speed/gear selector not just Neutral start, you will not have Automatic shift until you replace it.

What's your basis for this? According to the FSMs, none of the pins are connected in Drive. Of course, the reverse lights won't work.

Not true. When in 4 lo you will not be able to use the 1-2 and 3 options like normal. The trans will try and shift but is likely to do damage.

Just to be able to drive it to work you can do this. On mine I cut the black and the black/white and installed a toggle just past the connector. This allowed me to start and run the Jeep for a few days till I got a new one. I would fire up the Jeep and flip the switch. This tells the computer that your no longer in neutral or park. Also nobody can steal your rig with the switch flipped.
post-32-1182127628.jpg

Onkover said:
Not true. When in 4 lo you will not be able to use the 1-2 and 3 options like normal. The trans will try and shift but is likely to do damage.

Huh? The NSS does tell the TCU when it's in (3) or (1-2), but has no connections in (D) as Saudade said. It'll shift just fine, but you will generate a check engine code on the later ODBII Jeeps. Jumper the connections as a temporary fix.

Mabey I didn't say it right.
Sure it will shift fine with the temp fix in place when your not in 4 low. The shift points are different in 4 low. With the temp fix in place the computer acts as normal. If you place the transmission into 1-2 it will attempt to go into 3rd and slam itself back into 1st. I learned this the hard way. Luck for me I was being easy on it and not heavy into the throttle.
Make more sence?

Onkover said:
Mabey I didn't say it right.
Sure it will shift fine with the temp fix in place when your not in 4 low. The shift points are different in 4 low. With the temp fix in place the computer acts as normal. If you place the transmission into 1-2 it will attempt to go into 3rd and slam itself back into 1st. I learned this the hard way. Luck for me I was being easy on it and not heavy into the throttle.
Make more sence?

Not sure why this would be. The TCU has no idea if you're in 4lo, so maybe it's just the lighter throttle and not knowig you've got the shifter in 1-2.

Back