• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 rebuild with bare housing

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
For those experianced with the Dana 44, what pinion shim packs would you start off with for a bare housing.
edit* Dana Spicer Gear set

For the inner pinion bearing I was thinking .048 (what i think came factory with this axle, can't remember)
For the outer preload pack i think i will use .050.

I used to have them written down, but lost it and can't remember for sure.

Thanks NAXJA

Well, no thanks to you guys, the rebuild went smooth:D. Spent About 3 hours on the gears, I started with .058 on the inner pinion, and about .050 for the preload. Ended up having to take .002 from the inner pininon race then another .002 to get the pattern I liked. Preload ended up being 17 in/lbs and backlash was .007. The Spicer set, set up better than my previous precision set and the setup bearings made the job 100% easier.

While I had it pulled, I put some new beefier perches on, and chopped the stock shock mounts into some jks look-a-likes. The plasma cutter and circle guide made this easy work. Since i was using 6* shims, I tac'd the perhces accordingly, worked out perfect.
I also tapped out the vent hole and put a threaded nipple on there, like it should have come factory.
4lqqq6e.jpg

4lqlmv8.jpg

4umpi0w.jpg

6d19i5w.jpg

4lngwvq.jpg

4zavody.jpg

:cheers:

Back