• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 & Terlow Input Shaft

XJCreeper

NAXJA Forum User
When I cracked open my NP231 I found the Terlow front half had wasted the planetary pinions. As a result stripped the planetary gears were wasted and the input shaft gears a bit tore up. I got a great deal on another complete NP231 with a Teralow but the input gear is longer. I do have another matching input shaft from another NP231. But it came from a stock front half and not a teralow and I'm think the gear cut is different.

I called Teraflex and they said to just cut the input gear length down to match the old one. Has anyone ever done this before? I'm thinking about doing this today, but was wondering about the chamfer. If I cut it down to fit the chamfer at the end will be gone. Does anyone think the this chamfer not being there this is a big deal? Thanks for the sharing the experience here and advice!
NP231_Input_Chamfer.JPG

:thumbup: Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna get cutting!

You may not need to cut it. Ran into the same thing on a friends jeep. We just installled it with the longer input and it worked fine. Look into the back of the tranny and you will see plenty of room.

EDIT, his was an AX15 may not be the case with the Aw4. It would be eaier to look than it would be to cut the thick bastard :).

i cut mine and haven't had a problem. i've barely ran it tho since the install. i ground down the edges (ever so slightly) of the new cut so it wouldn't be to sharp and screw up the seal

Thanks for all the input guys (no pun intended... :roflmao:). I got it cut down to fit and ready to put back together :cheers:
NP231_Input_Cut.JPG

NP231_Input_Cut2.JPG

Back