• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

portal questions

MogifiedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone on here ever dealt with or heard of portal-tek???

http://www.portal-tek.com/

I've got a set of unimogs to go under my cherokee that I was going to shorten...but when I started considering the weight issue and pinion length and having to lengthen my wheelbase as a result, I started considering other options.

Anyways, I found this company that uses mog style portals on ford 9"s. About 1/3rd the weight of mogs plus a standard pinion length, and they're built to my specs...only thing is they haven't got back to me with a price yet. I know they're not going to be cheap, but when considering all the things I was going to have to do to use my mogs I think I might be better off selling them and just buying these.

So what do you guys think???

GalleryImage_013.jpg

GalleryImage_017.jpg

GalleryImage_023.jpg

NAXJA

Last edited:
If you need them, get them.

IIRC they are a ~$8500USD for a pair. Not a bad deal compared to shop built Dana 60s or whatever.

Buy them, install, post pics.

Is this goingt o be driven on the highway at all? do they offer the higer ratio (5.??)?

IIRC they use the Ford 9" center so you can go to 7.x on the diff.

Root Moose said:
IIRC they use the Ford 9" center so you can go to 7.x on the diff.

Oh right, duh, you could run a 2.72 gear in the diff and get back to reasonable RPM for highway use. Forgot about the 9" centers.

What reduction do they offer in the portal boxes? (like I can afford to ask.)

As for spare parts don't portals usually localize wear at the stub axle? The old Volvo articles I've read in JP or somewhere seemed to indicate the center r&p doesn't see as much torque due to reduction at the portal box - the 9 inch would be almost indestructible.

I'm waiting for someone to build add-on boxes with HMMV gears . . . I assume these have no reverse rotation problems?

Phantom said:
Thats pretty damn sexy....wish I had the coin to spare.
They still have gotten back to me with a price yet. I called and no one was there, however the woman I spoke to said they start out at about $8000. I sent an email with the specs and options I need and they have gotten back with me yet. I don't know if there customer service is that bad or if they just think I'm bullshitin about buying the damn things, it's kinda pissin me off. You would think with someone willing to spend that much ching on two axles they would get back with you a little quicker. I found another company that uses ford 9"s and unimog 416 portal boxes, I think it was exact or taradon. I may just go with that option considering I could buy replacement parts instead of having to buy custom parts again from portal-tek. Regaurdless, I'm still going to have to sell my mogs first before I buy them...I've already got too much in them and I don't think the signifigant other would understand spending that much more on two more axles...maybe I'll just tell her I got them off ebay for like $500.

Back