• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound bar? Is it worth it?

540ismiley

NAXJA Forum User
I found a sound bar in my area. It comes with the headliner. because I doesn't seem you can do it any other way. The color is grey and of course my interior is tan. So I would have to take it to a shop to have in redone in the tan color. The sound bar will be $125 and the job will be about $100. I am wondering about the sound. Because if the sound is not theat great, I may just have 2 speakers put in the rear passenger doors amd 2 6x9's in boxes in the rear.

I also thought about using the rear sound bar from a 1996 Xj and seeing if the sound bar could be modified to fit in by the interior company. What do you all think of that? Thanks
in advance for the input. This board rocks.

thanks
josh
1997 XJ White "plane jane right now. how to make it sweet soon"

Most 97's came with an overhead rear sound bar also. If your doesn't have it, adding one wouldn't be too difficult.
Sound bars from the 94-97 will fit just fine. I've even seen one application where someone installed 2 soundbars in an XJ. Of course I can't find that pic now. :confused:
Changing the entire headliner with that of a 98+ XJ with the molded in headliner/speakers would be much more work than adding in the sound bar.

Here's another way to get extra sound of of the XJ in a nice factory style fit. It's made by JL Audio.

xjbassboxJLAudioVVS-Jcopy.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. I just found out that the sound bar part number was the same from 1004 on ward. Jeep dealership is tricky they wanted $268 for the sound bar kit.
Yikes. i found one out of a 1996 xj for $20
thanks
for the help josh

540ismiley said:
wow, where did you get that from? that is awsome
josh
If you're talking about the bass box, any JL Audio dealer can get one for you. Mine cost me $150. It's called a JL Audio 'Vantage' box and it will fit pre97 XJ's also.
BTW, the one in the pic isn't mine. My XJ is white, white and more white. OK, so I went crazy with the spray paint. :D

Actually, I read somewhere on here that the soundbars that come built into the headliners are almost a direct swap. Just some minor cutting. Try a search here.

i Found a sound bar from a 1996 xj took it to a upholstery shop and had it recovered and installed over the headliner. Lokks very nice. get my new deck and speakers tomorrow. I also found the subwoofer vantage box and that will be going in soon. too.

Wow, i love jeeps. This is alot easier finding parts and a lot cheap than my BMW
Imma honky, you are exactly right. I went to the Jeep dealership yesterday for a soundbar. They said for 1997+ it was not avaliable. But for 1996- i could buy it. they both use the same part number.
thanks
for all the help
josh

I have a 95 Sport that had the rear soundbar. I didn't like where it was so I just pulled both the front and rear dome lights and slid the soundbar forward so that the holes for the dome light matched up then used the long studs from the rear in the front holes and put the short ones in the holes for the dome light in the rear. Tightened everything back up and now I can actually hear them. Plus I didn't loose either dome light doing it. Was very simply to do, just have to watch that you don't crack the tabs that hold it behind the trim.

I did a search on JL Audio's website and couldn't find a vantage box for my year....

they only have 93 and up Grand Cherokee's....

will this still work for my 92 XJ Sport 2door?

looks the same size

It should theoretically. I bought a rear disk changer box that was meant for grands and it fit perfectly......but dont take my word as a final vertict.

Dude, anyone looking for fuller sound HAS TO go with a sub, you can turn them down and use a small amp and not sound like the little punk *** kids running around town (from my generation). You cannot compare it to anything else. Just by removing all bass from your normal full way speakers and only running mids and highs will make it be able to run so much louder. Believe me, I ran one until my amp toasted out cuz it was cheap, and I don't listen to rap much, a lot of rock, but mostly classic rock. So it isn't like it is just for kids. Anyhow, JLAudio is quite pricey for most of your applications, so after doing a little research on what speaker provides the best sound and bass for the money for a class of mine I found that out of the crutchfield catalog, Infinity Reference tend to be the best. I don't want to write too much, so just e-mail me with any questions, I am glad to help. [email protected]

I put a soundbar from a '96 into my '90. you need to get the metal support bracket from behind the headliner in the donor vehicle or it bounces up and down. factory speakers are shite, I havn't found any replacements yet but I'm looking. would I do it again? no.

I wouldn't mind a sound bar, but I'm working on my own design. It's farily easy to put 6x9's in the liftgate, you just need to open up the stock locations to accept them. If your XJ is pre-97, you have a fibreglas liftgate which will cut easily with a Dremel, Rotozip, or similar - but is a dusty, nasty job! I did it on two of my XJ's - I think I needed about a half hour to modify each tailgate...

5-90

5-90 said:
I wouldn't mind a sound bar, but I'm working on my own design. It's farily easy to put 6x9's in the liftgate, you just need to open up the stock locations to accept them. If your XJ is pre-97, you have a fibreglas liftgate which will cut easily with a Dremel, Rotozip, or similar - but is a dusty, nasty job! I did it on two of my XJ's - I think I needed about a half hour to modify each tailgate...

5-90

The nice thing about the soundbar is that you can still hear it when your cargo area is full of stuff. I don't know about you, but my cargo area is always full of stuff.

i cut in 6x9 polk audio speakers in my front doors,installed dyno mat.. the sound is pretty good .... good luck!!!!!

JEEPZZ said:
Here's another way to get extra sound of of the XJ in a nice factory style fit. It's made by JL Audio.

That is exactly what I was looking for! Excellent.
That should take care of the 2 10's, now what do I do with the 2 12's?! :D

-V-

Hello I'm new here, I was researching the vantage box for my 97 XJ and found this site. Anyway I have looked high and low for the box, it seems JL wiped the whole line as of last year. I had the box in my 98 and it was great. I don't have it anymore so I'm trying to put together this 97 with no luck. if anyone has any clue as to whether or not the Grand cherokee has the same size rear pocket as the XJ it would be helpful. then I can just order that one.

Back