• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange front flex when in reverse and braking

lornius

NAXJA Forum User
When I reverse and hit the brakes it seems as though my front end is flexing or almost like something stretching and then going back together. It is hard to describe, but kinda like a rubber band that stretches and then contracts. I noticed it a few weeks back, but seems to be getting worse. I have a 4" Procomp lift. Just did the ball joints and tie rod ends as wells as control arm.

The shocks are toast and I have alignment issues in that there is top-inward camber on the drivers side wheel - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I had the toe-in adjusted last week and it seemed to make things worse as far as wandering around goes.

But my main concern is the odd stretching sensation when braking in reverse. Any thoughts? - before you go dishing on the Procomp, I know, I know, it came with it and it's what I am stuck with for now. Works for me.

I think i get the same thing. When i go to back into a parking space and i hit the brakes i can hear it and it feels wierd and when i let off the brake you can also hear it loosen??

Cherokeekid88 said:
I think i get the same thing. When i go to back into a parking space and i hit the brakes i can hear it and it feels wierd and when i let off the brake you can also hear it loosen??
Yes it definitely makes a sort of dull thud sound. Hard to describe. Sounds like the brakes binding up like old drums do but seems to be coming from the front.

Pro comp lower control arms are known to have flimsy metal bushings that distort when the bolts are tightened and can never be tight enough. What is happening is that your lower control arm rear mount bolt is moving fore and aft when you apply a torque to the axle. I have this problem on mine and have lessened it by putting large washers on both sides of the frame mount but what I really need to do is replace the metal bushing in the end of the lower control arm with a beefy one that won't crush. I am about 90% sure that's your problem.

jeeperjohn said:
Pro comp lower control arms are known to have flimsy metal bushings that distort when the bolts are tightened and can never be tight enough. What is happening is that your lower control arm rear mount bolt is moving fore and aft when you apply a torque to the axle. I have this problem on mine and have lessened it by putting large washers on both sides of the frame mount but what I really need to do is replace the metal bushing in the end of the lower control arm with a beefy one that won't crush. I am about 90% sure that's your problem.
Thanks JeeperJohn! I will have a look at it this weekend. I was pondering the possibility of warn out bushings as everything else has either been recently replaced or at least checked for condition. That might also explain the pull to one side or the other when I'm braking forward - especially hard braking.

Cheers

I get a creaking noise and then a thud when I reverse and then brake. I have the T&T long arms so no metal bushings on the lower controll arm rear mount and the arms are brand new. Everything is torqued to spec so who knows what the heck it is???

Sounds like mine. I haven't found anything out of wack yet, so I guess I will wait until the culprit reveils itself (I just hope that it doesn't do it while I am at speed, or going down the Interstate).

Are you guys still running swaybars? That was my first guess....thet you weren't or those bushings were FUBAR.

As for the camber problem when backing up, check your balljoints. Make sure they're tight. I just re-read the original post and you did them....did you do all 4?

Back