• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
My '98 XJ takes forever to start. It cranks and cranks and cranks. I JUST got a new starter for it because the old one went out, about a couple months ago, so I know it can't be that. Could my fuel pump be going out? Or could it be the fuel filter?

Seems like everything is fine, although I'll have someone else check.
I'm just sick of fixing stuff that is real stupid to fix. First the shocks, then leafs, then starter, then tires... now I have death wobbles, t-case vibes, it rides like crap... I'd hate to sell it though.

I suggested this in another post but a couple of questions to think about.

Did the problem start with just one extended crank then start then progess to two attempts to start and on the second an immediate fire-up?

Has it moved on to longer and longer cranks with 3 and 4 attempts?

If that's the case, I had the same issue and had to replace pump and sock. I won't say that the same problem because I am not around it but....

If you have to replace the pump, spend the 5 bucks for the sock, it's probably as clogged as your pump. Don't know the technical name for the part but the retainer at the top of my tank was a pain in the rear to get off, otherwise very simple job.

If you decide to do this job, make sure you have about 10 gallons of gas to put back in. Mine didn't start until I put that much in on my '99.

Don't have too much fun.
:cheers:

Back