• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody used XJ wheel spacers?

WEJOXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Wondering if anyone has used wheel spacers with stock rims and larger tires. Opinions positive or negative are appreciated. Didn't see anything in forum search.

Tim

Thanks XJeeper

I'm running spacers/adapters to widen my rear D44 to more closely approximate the width of my front HP44. No issues so far.

Speed_racer said:
Although, I dont see why you'd want to run an "oversized tire" on a stock rim... Black steeling are under $50 a piece!

In my case because I didn't decide wich rim to buy and I didn't want black steelies. Plus, because Honeycomb's ROCKS jeje...

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that some tire chains won't touch them. It's not about the money (if I am spending over $100 on spacers anyway) but I like the way some of the stock rims look, but they don't have that offset we all like.

Speed_racer said:
A LOT of people have run them with no issues.

a FEW have commented about stress on the studs...

And a FEW major tire chains wont TOUCH your jeep if you have wheel spacers, including Tire Kingdom!

Although, I dont see why you'd want to run an "oversized tire" on a stock rim... Black steeling are under $50 a piece!

Lots of SPOBI about billet wheel adapters....... too many folks call them spacers, which are illegal to run in most states and are only installed by stupid tightwads.

The newby manager at the local Discount Tire shared his recently acquired knowledge about wheel spacers and their legality as he noticed my adapters from the showroom last weekend. We chatted about the difference between spacers and adapters and if he could recognize their difference from 75ft away........he mumbled something about company policy and faded into the back office. I smiled.

Quality Billet Adapters are made from T-6061 aircraft grade aluminum and if properly installed and torqued, will be trouble-free.

Do they increase the torque load on a wheel bearing? I think this would depend on the net Back Spacing that results, but no more or no less than a black steelie with the same net BS.

Do they increase stress on your studs? See above.........

Define oversized tire?

Cheap steel wheels are a bent rim waiting to happen, if you plan on wheeling your rig or running over curbs at the mall.....not to mention the fact that black "Rockcrawler" wheels are so 1998 :D

I've run set of Spidertrax's spacers on stock wheels with no problems. Heavymetal has run both 1.25" and 2" spacers on his Jeep for a while now as well.

Oversized tires for Cherokee: 31's or 33's

My concern was stress on the studs and hubs, not so much the stock wheels. It would make sense that the stock rim would have trouble retaining the bead in wheeling situations. Again, I really just like some of the stock rims and was considering it as an option to aftermarket rims like "black steelies" or otherwise.

In all likelihood, I would go with the American Eagle Series 058:

http://www.eaglewheels.com/index.htm

Just like the ones on my '86 Dodge except smaller.

I do like the black steel rims quite a bit too!

Thanks again to everyone that posted.

Last edited:
Back