• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting to single key

artsifrtsi

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to easily convert my 90 to use a single key like the later years? I'll need new lock cores for the doors, but is there one for the hatch and is there a 'drop in" for the steering lock, or does the whole column need to be swapped?

I am not sure on this but..... If your ingnition key will fit it your door and hatch locks, just not turn. I would try going to a lock smith shop and see if they can redo the tumblers in the lock. I had all of the door locks redone on my jeep b/c I "lost" the key. And because I "lost" my wallet at the same time I didn't want whoever "found" my keys to be able to get in the jeep. It only cost me $45 to have the two doors and hatch done. Might not work but its worth a shot.

no idea if this is true of Jeeps, but the local police departments have their vehicles all keyed to a single key (for each vehicle-- not just one key for all) and I know some of the XJ's were offered as service vehicles..... maybe AMC/Chryco offered it? Also maybe with a little effort a GM police lock kit could be made to function in the Jeep? I think the locks from GM B-bodies (Caprice, Impala, etc) looked fairly close to the stuff I saw in the Jeep....
Just a thought.

--Shorty

I've done it to my 1990, it's not that tough. In the ignition lock, you have to file a small groove so you can run the screw through it that they used until 1991. The tailgate and glovebox are identical. The door locks can get interesting. The 91+ locks are physically smaller, so you have to figure out a filler. The connecting rods are also I believe smaller in the later years so you have to adapt those as well. The door locks are the biggest PITA. Hope some of this helped.

Thanks, Renix... Maybe I'll just go ahead and get a new key made for the doors, and replace the door cyl. Maybe when I am ready to replace the doors I can just get newer fronts and convert to the single key at that time.

artsifrtsi said:
Maybe when I am ready to replace the doors I can just get newer fronts and convert to the single key at that time.
See that's what I did, just went to 97+ doors at the same time, then I used that year's lock cylinders.

Back