• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maxxis Bighorns VS. Interco TrXus

green50gt

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, Im gonna do a little comparison on these tires...Im not some punk who thinks he knows it all....I HAVE OWNED BOTH SETS OF TIRES, therefore, I am allowed to give my opinion, so shut up and read. I have been hearing a lot about these bighorns and thought I would give them a try.

I sold the trxus and pretty wheels and went bighorns and black steelies. Both sets of tires were 33x12.50's, and both were on 15x8's.

First off, these bighorns look SUPER rad, really awesome sidewall, interesting tread design. These had ZERO balancing issues, yeah thats right NO balancing issues. They are noticeably louder than the trxus, but nothing compared to a bogger or tsl. It is lighter by about 8 pounds to the trxus. They ride almost as smooth as silk. However it is slightly shorter, at 32.9 versus the 33" of the trxus.(advertised) Got them for $552 SHIPPED from Select Tire on ebay. Paid $601 shipped for the Trxus from Tyres International. Select tire was AMAZING to deal with, I called 4 times in one day to ask questions, very friendly and knowledgable. Ebay name is nikkiw0212...If you want some bighorns, hurry, cuz the prices are going up...

Basically I got sick and tired of the trxus, yeah they are super badass offroad, and they are quiet, but I had nothing but trouble with balancing them. 1 was completely out of round and they would not replace it cuz it took me too long to figure that out. Then the other 4 had a TON of weight on them, 1 was still not entirely perfect. They like rocks, they like trails, i did cut a sidewall when it got pinched on a sharp rock, however it still held air just fine. I try to stay away from mud, but they were just so so from what I could tell.

I want to point out that I have not gotten the opportunity to wheel on the bighorns yet. I will give an update just as soon as I do to see how they compare to the trxus, which offroad is pretty hard to beat. But for daily driving use and price, the bighorns are the hands down winner.

IMG_0165.jpg

100_0565.jpg

100_0557.jpg

Haha, thanks. You can't see all the scratches. My last badlands trip wasn't very nice to my jeep. Had to go to the rice burner tail lights cuz I kissed a tree behind the rear tire and smashed the light. Those silly things were cheaper than stock lights on ebay.... All I can say is thank god for rock sliders!!!

My personal experience with big horns is not that good they do ride good on road and are o k off road but they dint clean out at all. Every time we went in a group it was I that got stuck all due to them not cleaning out and slicking over really bad

just my experience maybe yours will be different

I really like the fender trim....what did you use???? very nice....

Looks good dude. I think when I get my new 4.5" Im gonna volunteer you help with fender trim.

I used a 4" die grinder and protecto trim from Rock Lizard. Thanks by the way.

Jeff I thought you were going to just relocate your factory flares?

As far as the lights, I'd like to have some of those battle box things...the metal boxes with LED's...But I've only found them available for pre 97's....

green50gt said:

As far as the lights, I'd like to have some of those battle box things...the metal boxes with LED's...But I've only found them available for pre 97's....
I want to , but still have to trim.

Good looking RIG!!! i have 35x12.50x15 Big Horns and just love them, they are great on and off road. I never had and trouble with the mud, around here it seems that there is always a big mudd hole right before a waterfall or ledge. I had TSL before and I would buy 100 sets of Maxxis Big Horn before I bought 1 TSL.

Last edited:
green50gt said:

The airsaw is much cleaner (no grinding necessary) and is a lot quicker than a grinder with cutoff wheel (takes 30 seconds and you get a lot more control).

NAXJA member known as Jes made some that I used as a template of sorts. Work great for me.

Check out Thor4x4's LED tail lights with corner protection if you prefer to buy them pre-fab. I made some like that using trash truck LED lights. They look like the thor product, but they cost a lot less ($30!).

Back