• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise up front when hitting a bump.

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Soo, I've searched the threads and am still stumped. It seems whenever I hit a bump, especially a speed bump, slow or fast I get a little clunking noise coming from the front right. I've checked the ball joints, seem fine. It also happens when I'm wheeling and go down a steep decline(40* or better) and hold the brakes it will clunk. Then at the bottom of the hill when you hit it it clunks back, almost like something is shifting. Maybe the control arm bushings? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

I had a similar experience,almost like a loose shock or rubber bushing gone bad there was also a noise that developed when I put it in reverse with brakes, a clicking type noise. My 98 has 165k miles on it and when the AC went out I took it to a dealership and asked them to look at the drivetrain/suspension as I suspected that might be the issue. They reported that some hoses near/around the Xfercase had come loose (maybe from a fastener:dunno:) and they had secured them. No clunk and no clicking noise anymore. I wish I could be more specific but I was a bit distracted by the bill I got for the AC and failed to inquire any further on the noise:gee:

Hope this helps

MRK98

Check your upper shock mounts, specifically the bushings. Also check your control arm mounts (more than likely what it is). Sounds like your axle is shifting around from a bad bushing...

A slightly loose control arm bushing could do it. So could the track bar. Check the sway bar frame bushings too. Right now my 99 is making a couple of clunks, one from a bad ball joint, and another slightly higher-pitched one from a cracked spring. That last one took some hunting to spot. Check the coils, right near the bottom.

I would vote for the control arms, 'specially if you're still at stock height. My 89 was doing the same thing, turns out the bushings for the lower control arms are shot -> front axle is shifting back and forth

^^^^ Well, I've got a 2.5" lift. Bought it w/the lift in the front, put the add a leaf in afterwards. It does feel like something is def loose though..

KJT95Country said:
X2 - anyone have tips?

a quick visual inspection could tell you a lot. if there are obvious signs that the bushings on your upper or lower control arms are old and deteriorated then it would be a good thing to replace them. look for dry, cracked, or missing portions of the rubber in the bushing.

hth
stewie

thanks - I'll be on my back under that pig again this weekend... spent 3 days cutting and patching rust holes in the floor a week ago!

Definately aftermarket, no question. The stock control arms are just formed sheetmetal. If you are going back stock don't bother with the dealership, there are literally thousands lying around junkyards. Slap in some new bushings and call it good.

Have you figured out what the noise was yet? I have the same type of problem but the front axle rattles offroad as well. I have all new control arm bushings except the UCA on the axle but they look fine.

Back