• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear oil

:looser: Yup you guessed it! I had a whole bottle of 90 weight spill in my cargo area! It soaked into the carpet and insulation too. I know this is not really Mod tech but I'm sure that someones done the same thing too. Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate place if it does not fit.

Can it be cleaned out? If so, with what?

Am I gonna have to rip it all out and trash it?(in the plans, but not in the near future) I would like to keep in as long as possible until I can afford to line it and mat it.

My wife is prego and if she even thinks she smells it, she's running for the nearest toilet or bush to empty her gut!(kinda humorous at first, but got old quick)

Any suggestions?:hang:

Same thing happen to me, used purple power degreaser and shop vac. Followed by 1 gallon of water and 1 entire box of baking soda, lots of elbow grease and patience.

Smells like a skunks butt

Sorry man, pull the carpet and pad. Brake parts cleaner on any metal that the 90w has seeped to should remove it, but the carpet is history. You could try full strength Simple Green and a steam cleaner, but for that effort and expense, just find a rear carpet at a local PicknPull.

Good luck

I would say its trashed. BUT, you could try some "Grease Lightning" or "Purple Power". Hang it in your garage or from a tree (if you dont have a garage), hose it down and let the degreaser of your choice soak. Fabreez is good for getting rid of smells too. Gear oil is a nasty smell and its even hard to get off your hands. Good luck.

XJEEPER said:
Sorry man, pull the carpet and pad. Brake parts cleaner on any metal that the 90w has seeped to should remove it, but the carpet is history. You could try full strength Simple Green and a steam cleaner, but for that effort and expense, just find a rear carpet at a local PicknPull.

Good luck

Well, Ive done what Jeff has suggested and yanked it out. Went to Pip Boyz and got some heat shield and sound dampener and some rubber mats and a bunch of adhesive. I'm gonna try to make it look decent but not too concerned about looks as it will be covered with the rear seat and tools and spare parts, but will be much easier to clean up if this happens again. Sorry Rob, couldn't find the maroon shag like ya suggested, but I did find maroon vato trim with little danglies!:conceited

Back