• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY: Custom Shift Boot for $10

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
My '98 shift boot was torn and cracked so I decided to make a custom shift boot since I didnt like the price of a new one and I also didn't like the praymid design.

Tools:
flathead screw driver
hot glue gun
stretchy fabric of your choice cut about 1'x1'
rubber grommet from home depot/lowes (about .50 cents)

2007_0612Image0008.JPG

1st thing's 1st, take out or cut up that old shift boot off the counsel.
Use a screw driver and give a SMALL pry between the shift boot and the counsel to pop it out of its hole.

Then grab the black plastic trim ring and make sure no pieces of the old shift boot are in the mounting groves.

2007_0612Image0007.JPG

Take the piece of fabric of your choice and lay it loosely on the top of the trim ring.

Lay a bead of the hot glue (make sure you let the gluegun get hot or warm up for at least 5 minutes so that the glue will bond perfectly) inside one of the tracks for the old shift boot and press the fabric over that bead and hold it until it is set.

2007_0612Image00077.JPG

Do the same for the other sides EXCEPT for the side that is facing the drivers leg. This side will have a curl to it. You're gonna want to lay the bead of glue for that side UNDERNEATH that lip/curl and make sure the fabric dries.

2007_0612Image00055.JPG

Do not glue over the little mounting tabs.

You do not want any ripples or excessive fabric on the surface of the trim ring after it is done.

Trim the rest of the fabric so that it is cut directly below the bead of glue.

Next, after the glue is dry and the fabric is set, you're gonna want to mark a line from each corner UNDERNEATH the trim ring.

2007_0612Image00044.JPG

Then grab your cig lighter, head it up and set it/place it under the lowest legs of the "X". This means that the hole would be in the triangle area closest to the back of the jeep.
DO NOT BURN A COMPLETE HOLE! as soon as it starts to burn a hole about 1/2" wide let off the cig lighter.

2007_0612Image00022.JPG

Next, place the grommet in the hole and line it up so that the fabric lays on the inside of the grommets tracks. this will ensure that the grommet never moves out of place and that its set in the fabric.

One this is all done, take off your shifter and mount this in. The trim ring will only go into place one way.
make sure there is no extra fabric hanging off, you dont want it hanging out of your trim ring looking like a mess. Thats it!

2007_0612Image0008.JPG

Any questions, please ask!

Last edited:
CROSBIKE said:
looks cool. those hand cuffs around your 4wd leva?

yup. ASP hand cuffs. Also under my seat is a 36" Riot ASP extendable baton. I was in the police academy so I just never stopped carrying them around.

Actually I've had it in for the past 2 months and It hasn't ripped once. With the way I burned a hole in the fabric (prevents a rip from happening) and the way that the material stretches, I have no issues what so ever. It's much neater than the rubber boot because it just a flat surface...
Here you go RyanM:
1st
2007_0612Image1001.JPG

5th
2007_0612Image3003.JPG

2nd
2007_0612Image5004.JPG

Reverse
2007_0612Image2002.JPG

Like I said, the material used is very strechy, it's a mix of cotton and elaestic but more cotton.

RyanM said:
i keep my boot lubed up. can you feel any engine heat

No. you do know there are 2 shift boots, right? one on the counsel and one on the floor board.

tgoff said:
Shift boot replacement for my 86 was only $13 from the dealer.
Because yours isn't a 97+, they're about $33.

RenixPower said:
Because yours isn't a 97+, they're about $33.

Exactly.
Total cost for this project was about $4.
It helps to use extra material laying around the house, like an old stretchy shirt, or your gir girlfriends skirt... lol... or if you know some one who has fabric extra to use.

selarep said:
or your girlfriends skirt...
Or better yet, someone elses girlfriend's skirt.

or your ex's pants she left in the back of your rig... I got a pair of those, nice soft material too, makes for a great cloth to clean polished aluminum wheels with

Back