• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished the 8.8 swap!

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
:moon: I just finished my 8.8 swap yesterday. Unfortunatly I forgot to take pictures of the procedure, but here it is all installed. Let me tell you a little bit about it. I found this axle at a local junkyard for $220 pulled. Well the junkyard was retarded and pulled the front IFS assembly out of the explorer, because the rear axle was already gone! So they ordered me one from another junkyard and I got that one. It is a 98' Explorer V8 8.8 with 4.10 gears 31 spline shafts and a factory limited slip. The junkyard didn't bother to give me the calipers brakelines or rotors. I had to spend a lot of $$ on calipers, so if you end up doing the 8.8 swap get one with calipers! Here is a little mini write up of what to do.

1. Once you have a good canidate for your 8.8 axle swap, cut off the spring under mounts and sway bar mounts with a grinding wheel.

2. Clean the axle off and paint it with a good primer and a nice gloss color preferably black.

3. Buy or build spring and shock mounts. Buy the 8.8 flange to jeep U joint adapter. I got mine from More offroad. What I did was make my own spring mounts out of 2 inch square tubing using a plasma cutter to cut out the arches for the axle tubes in welding class. I also bought universal spring mounts for $6.50 a piece at Olympic 4x4.

4. Get all the fluids and brake parts to start your swap. Drop your dana 35 or whatever you have and roll in the 8.8 on tires. Set the spring mounts under the leaf springs and point the pinion directly towards the transfer case output. Check and double check your axle to make sure it is in the right spot. Tack on your spring and shock mounts. Make sure they look good. Roll the axle out from underneath the Jeep, remove the tires so you can weld on the spring mounts easily, and weld away.

5. At this time you should weld your axle tubes to the center housing, but it is hard, because the center housing is cast iron. Is this true? For cast iron it is recommended that you heat up the area you are welding with a torch, and then weld it together. I only did this for parts of my welds, because my friend left and I just decided to get it done quickly.

6. Get your brakes all figured out. Turn your rotors, make sure your calipers are in good condition. Also you need to get a female male adapter in order to reuse the jeep T block line that bolts to the frame. Connect the adapter to the driver side rubber line and the other end into the jeep T block. Connect the T block to the 8.8 steel line.

7. Bolt your axle in place, fill it with fluid, seal the cover, bolt the drive shaft up, and bleed the brakes! Now your done.

I know this is a sketchy half ass write up, but I hope it helps! Post in the thread or PM me if you have further questions. The whole install only took me about 6 hours over the period of 2 days. Now I have to install my new dana 30. I picked it up with a aussie locker, 4.10 gears to match the rear, and alloy usa shafts.

IMG_96422.jpg

IMG_96412.jpg

IMG_96402.jpg

IMG_96382.jpg

IMG_96372.jpg

IMG_96362.jpg

IMG_96442.jpg

IMG_96432.jpg

I know my welds aren't great.

looks good man.

One thing, only point the Pinion straight at the TC output if you have a SYE. Stock DS and slip yoke will be different.

Unless your linked, or have a ladder bar, the pinion should point 2* below d.s. angle(with SYE) on a stock setup. The angle of the TC output, and angle of pinion should run parallel

STOCK
2joint_angle.gif

SYE
cv_angle.gif

www.4xshaft.com

Make sure you drive shaft flange dosn't hit the exhaust pipe when you flex it out.

Man i have been looking for an 8.8 for a little while and i just cant find them. I need one so i can get locked without breaking something and spending even more money. Well good luck with that 8.8 and let me know how it does.

RkyMtnXJ said:
Man i have been looking for an 8.8 for a little while and i just cant find them. I need one so i can get locked without breaking something and spending even more money. Well good luck with that 8.8 and let me know how it does.

Nice. Just call like every junkyard near you and go to all the pull it yourself yards and look for an 8.8. Thanks I will try to go wheeling this weekend. I just finished droping my dana 30 and now im gonna put in my other dana 30 with 4.10s, a locker, and gears.

sheeks175 said:
:moon: I just finished my 8.8 swap yesterday.....

Buy or build spring and shock mounts....

What I did was make my own spring mounts out of 2 inch square tubing

IMG_96412.jpg

Am I missing something here? My 01 XJ has shock mounts that are single shear and pivot left to right, not forward and backward. Is it different on a 92, or did you mount them wrong?

Also, my leafs are 2.5 inch wide, how did you make spring perches out of 2 inch square tubing?

Sierra Drifter said:
Am I missing something here? My 01 XJ has shock mounts that are single shear and pivot left to right, not forward and backward. Is it different on a 92, or did you mount them wrong?

Those are new mounts. XJs didn't come with them that way, but TJs did. :D

ECKSJAY said:
Those are new mounts. XJs didn't come with them that way, but TJs did. :D

What he said! I just used a universal shock mount and it will work just fine. Yeah I did use 2 inch square tubing even though the leaf springs are 2.5 inch. I messed up when picking up the steel to make it, but it shouldn't make any difference. :moon:

Take those rear caliper flex hoses and flip them up the other way. They are too easy to cut when you back into stuff with them hanging down like that.

RkyMtnXJ said:
Go to the Colorado chapter on this site and a guy will tell you where one is right now.

mrblaine said:
Take those rear caliper flex hoses and flip them up the other way. They are too easy to cut when you back into stuff with them hanging down like that.

Yeah I think I could. If I switched them the other way they might have rubbed on the wheel I can't remember. :puke:

BlueGerbil said:
Congrats to the swap!
Do you notice an improved braking?

Yeah I do notice a improvement in braking. My old drums might have just been messed up. But it is a pretty good improvement, a nice firm pedal and plenty of stopping power when needed. My hydraulic system isn't strong enough though. It is hard to lock the tires up.

sheeks175 said:
What he said! I just used a universal shock mount and it will work just fine. Yeah I did use 2 inch square tubing even though the leaf springs are 2.5 inch. I messed up when picking up the steel to make it, but it shouldn't make any difference. :moon:

So when you flex the rear axle and stuff one tire and droop the other, isn't it going to bend or break the shock? I saw a guy snap a blistien like that.

Sierra Drifter said:
So when you flex the rear axle and stuff one tire and droop the other, isn't it going to bend or break the shock? I saw a guy snap a blistien like that.

I dunno. I guess I never thought about that. What have other people who did the 8.8 swap do?

TJ's mounts are lateral like that, but so are the tops. You shouldn't have any problem.

You could always use your sway bar mounts as BPEs to twist the upper mount to match.

edit: best pic of my TJ's mounts i have:

tsf20060218020wz7.jpg

Back