• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not all drop brackets created equal...

Jared

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my new (used) drop brackets today. They are the Trailmaster pieces. Much to my dismay/astonishment, they are NOT identical to the Rubicon Express brackets like everybody says.

RE brackets are a 3" drop and also move the control arms 1/2" forward. The TM's drop a whopping 4". Not sure yet if they move the arms forward or not, I think that it's unlikely though.

So, buyers BEWARE! RE brackets are less of an anchor dangling beneath your rig! But, maybe the TM's are better for you 8"+ guys....

Jared

No, but technically, neither do the Rubicons. The braces are an additional $70 MSRP option, but they will sell the drop brackets without them if you like. I am making mine, should be an easy fab.

Jared

Yea, I knew RE's are a added option, I was wondering if TM even offered them. I don't think I've everseen a set of TM drop bracket with guessets.

what color springs do trail master lifts use? one of my buddies got an xj no too long ago that was already lifted, i have since replaced the springs on his, but he has drop brackets and they aint RE the springs that came off of it were orange or maybe used to be red but are discolored

As I understand it, TM does not offer braces.

I dunno what color the TM springs are. Eagle and Woody both have had em though, try them.

Jared

I belive TM springs are black or dark grey.

I have the trailmaster drop brackets and front springs and the springs are orange (bought them new years ago). I did'nt know about the differences between the RE and the TM brackets. Good info.

I installed my TM lift on my 87 XJ back in 91 waaayyy before RE existed. My TM coils are still orange (somewhat) and the TM drop brackets are gold in color compared to my friends RE's black drop brackets. The RE braces will attach to the TM drop brackets also.

DeadEyeJ said:
I just got my new (used) drop brackets today. They are the Trailmaster pieces. Much to my dismay/astonishment, they are NOT identical to the Rubicon Express brackets like everybody says.

I also thought that the RE drop brackets were identical to the TM's. I'll have to take a second look at my buddies XJ. We did align the RE braces with my TM DB's and they lined up perfect.

Last edited:
My Trailmaster lift came to me already installed in an MJ I bought for $500. Front coils are black. Drop brackets are rust and mud color ... most likely because they are rusty and covered with mud.

DeadEyeJ said:
As I understand it, TM does not offer braces.

I dunno what color the TM springs are. Eagle and Woody both have had em though, try them.

Jared

Huh??? :dunno: how ya got that info...

My MJ only ever ran 3" Rustys coils + 1.75" spacers & OEM control arms/OEM leafs in SOA.

My XJ came with Rough Country 4" coils and LCA (I think, had a RC sticker on the window when I got it) and now has Rusty's 4.5" + 1.75" spacers, RE Superflex UCA, custom Ronbuilt LCA (no drop brackets), and Rusty's rear leafpack + an extra leaf & MJ shackles.

Drop brackets might make the road ride more smooth, but the comfort aspect was never a consideration for me... It's a Jeep not a Buick :)

What happened to all those folks we used to hear from with bent-frame horror stories about Trailmaster drop brackets? I guess they all got long arm kits.

I thought I saw that you had some TM 4" coils for sale in the For Sale forum, $20 if I recall. Guess they were the Rough Country's. My mistake.

Guess I'm just full of it...

Jared

"Guess I'm just full of it..."

Naw, just mistaken. And they MAY BE TM coils/LCAs? I really don't know. Anyway I think if you can do a bit of reinforcing/bracing, the TM brackets will be fine to get your geometry back closer to happy.

I may end up with drop brackets & braces one day, maybe not on this rig tho.

Have fun with it :)

Back