• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a xj budget junkyard lift.

langer1

NAXJA Forum User
I read an artical onlne somewhere about using springs from the Pic-pull.

It was something like s10 coils for the front and Ranger leafs for the rear.
Anyone know where that write up is? TIA

it's s10 or dakota rear springs and ford f150 coils. the coils ride hard due to their stiff spring rate. search "bastard packs", "budget boost".

Well I imagine you can get a block of wood. Those are cheap right?

I'm sure the grand cherokee coils wouldn't be that expensive. but whatever floats your boat.

ford coils i have found to be $20 bucks cheaper than the zj coils. the zj coils are supposed to ride a lot smoother though. the ford coils actually make you hurt they ride so rough.

mattbred said:

I'm sure the grand cherokee coils wouldn't be that expensive. but whatever floats your boat.
I have a set of zj v8 coils new in the box..make an offer!! Cheap enough

The ZJ coils don't provide as much lift though.
We're running 33's easily with F-150 coils and a 1.75" spacer. $40 for both coils. The ride is rough, but it doesn't make you hurt. It actually seems to give more control. Instead of bouncing around, it's just kind of a quick bounce and your back in control.
They're also amazing for jumping. :)

Blaine B. said:
I hear the V8 ZJ coils give you around 2" on a stock XJ.

And when you pull it - just tell the cashier they are F150 coils :)

If thats the case then they give about the same.
The reason I said F-150's give more lift is because I had the impression that ZJ coils only give an 1", if your lucky. The Fords gave us 2"s easily.
But I've been wrong, many, many times before.

go with some poly spacers and shackles from skyjacker, RE or superlift for under 100 dollars - better ride and can be used for future upgrades - this is what i would do
if this is too much to spend then yes what has been mentioned will work and net about an inch or 1.5 depending on what you find and use in the junk yard

Verified from personal experience:
ZJ V8 coils (used from junkyard) give 1" lift at most, I think I got .75" out of mine on my old lift.
79 F150 Coils (brand new $55 at Advance Auto) gave around 2.5" when I did my father-in-law's XJ.
S10 Springs (used 3-leaf pack, AAL only top 2 leaves into full stock pack) give around 5" lift.
XJ top 2 leaves AAL (used) added into full stock pack give around 2" depending on sag.
MJ Shackles replacing XJ shackles give around .5-.75" lift.
Quadratec HD packs with top 3 stock XJ AALs added into pack result in around 4" lift over stock.
1-2" Poly spacers are also nice & can be used in conjunction with the coils listed above.

Internet Ideas I've heard:
S10 Springs (4-leaf packs) I would assume give arond the same lift as above, but I assume they would flex better.
dakota springs are also reputed to give around 4" lift if used as AALs.
IIRC there are some old 80s Chevy Shackles that give a lot of lift, but I have not tried these or seen them in use.

Chero-King said:
The ride is rough, but it doesn't make you hurt. It actually seems to give more control. Instead of bouncing around, it's just kind of a quick bounce and your back in control.
They're also amazing for jumping. :)

:guitar: :scared: :wave1:

mattbred said:

I'm sure the grand Cherokee coils wouldn't be that expensive. but whatever floats your boat.

Sorry I was not looking for a Canook lift.:shhh:

The Chevy shackles are from the 1987 and newer style trucks. The stock shackles on the Chevy are worth around 2 1/2-3 inches, IIRC. I used a set on a 85 XJ several years back. By the way, you might want to get some plate and brace them, since I did manage to fold one of them.

ren said:
The Chevy shackles are from the 1987 and newer style trucks. The stock shackles on the Chevy are worth around 2 1/2-3 inches, IIRC. I used a set on a 85 XJ several years back. By the way, you might want to get some plate and brace them, since I did manage to fold one of them.

Are you contradicting yourself? At first you say 87 & newer, then you say you used 85??? Did you mean 87 & older? I would like to know for sure on this fact myself, I might have to swing by the junkyard this evening.

No, I am not contradicting myself. The shackles are from the Chevy, and the 85 I refer to was an XJ.

Back