• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a new problem

cygnus58

NAXJA Forum User
ran an errand this morning, put a bottle of CHEAP (stupid) injector cleaner in a nearly full tank when we left the store.
Ran fine all the way home.
Went out to start a half hour later, and it barely runs.
Smells rich, randomly fires, a couple cylinders. Won't rev, wants to backfire through the instake.
Tried a spark module for kicks.
It is too coincendental to NOT be the crap I put in the tank.
My local guy says if that's it, hopefully whatever (water in tank?) will work its way out....

Try a new fuel filter.

Just tried that OldMan. Thought it might make a difference
I tilted the old one's output hole into a mason jar.
Doesn't seem to be any water or beads of anything but it looks a very pale yellow and cloudy...lame
Ran it again, for 5-10 minutes.
Smells rich coming out the back, would that be Renix compensating for the problem if it is a fuel problem?
I have trouble remembering injection and ECUs are so different than
carburation, and old fashioned timing.
Absolutely no power, can't move off the spot.
I have a disributor I could try.
Just seems like fuel since that's the only difference between last start before the problem and then the problem arises.
I did change CPS sensors right b4 the bad start, BUT put back in the old one to compare.
There are no wires that had been tugged or pulled in that area - it's relativley free of other stuff although quite cramped in that area.

Last edited:
Also neglected to mention last night I had changed IAC to see if idle would smooth out towards perfect.
Ran around a bit after that and left it in.
Is there any IAC condition that would allow little or no air in?
With the hose off the throttle body, it is sucking plenty of ait in the little elongated hole at about 8 o'clock position.
I also reset the ECU last night as I had been changing many things over the past week for other reasons. The first several "memory" starts were fine.
It just worked, and then didn't.

After supper update:
Put in other IAC, no diff.
Connected spare TPS.
Unhooked TPS, while running, no diff.
Fuel rail did have some pressure at relief valve B4 filter change.
Tries to start at same approx 2 revolutions of crank. (sync and CPS working)
New plugs, cap, rotor last Saturday.
Different place gas fill up last Friday. (Sunoco) usually Sheetz.

If I disconnect vacuum to MAP sensor, idle climbs, still pops, and the Cat is RED HOT!!
When I changed fuel filter as mentioned above, the rail bleeder had 10 or so good squirts.
Now right after shut off, has little or no remaining pressure. One time a little, one time none.
Would I have one or more injectors, sticking open maybe and causing the computer to lean out the mix, and mess up timing?
Someone help explain this please...

Today after work I loosened and reseated the CPS.
That fixed it.
Apparantly weak or too much gap will let the engine start, but the ECU keeps shooting fuel at all injectors trying to establish timing.

Back