• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Enlighten Me

yakinaked

NAXJA Forum User
I'm COMPLETELY confused now. I'm changing my ATF filter/fluid (AW4) so before I go down to buy the stuff I reference my Haynes and Chilton manuals. The Haynes says to use Mercon for this tranny and the Chilton says use Dexron II. So I go to the auto parts store and grab what I think is the right stuff (says Mercon/Dexron II) then go to the counter to get the filter kit. Dude gives me the filter and says "you don't want to put that in that transmission man". He tells me I need to use the ATF+4. I take his word for it, but all they have is Pennzoil which I don't like so I buy the filter kit and head on down to another store for the fluid. They tell me the same thing - use ATF+4. This link: http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html says "All Chrysler four-speed automatic transmissions* are very sensitive to the quality of the transmission fluid. Only use the ATF+[3 or 4] in these transmissions. Do not use Dexron or Mercon." Then it says in a "Important exceptions for Jeep owners" section "The Jeep AW-4 (Aisin-Warner) transmission should use Dexron III." Making the "ALL Chrysler transmissions" statement false. As I said, I'm totally confused. Can anyone enlighten my dumbA?

The AW4 is NOT a chrysler tranny (that is why it works...), hence the exception to the "ALL Chrysler Transmissions" statement. I have a standard, but Im pretty sure it takes the Dex III

and using anything but NON synthic Mercron/Dextron IIE will cause premature failure. I'll say it again don't use any synthetic fluid in the transmision.

Back