• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Keyless Entry to a 99

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how hard this would be or has anyone done it? The keyless entry module is up in the front domelight right? Do I simply just need to buy a couple transmitters and have the dealer program them or do I have to get a new domelight module and do a ton of wiring? Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a 99 XJ Sport with power locks also.

fishfighter said:
I would like to hear a answer on this too!The pass owner lost both transmitters.
Well see, I'm not even sure how to tell if mine originally had it. I need to find that VIN decoder again or something and type mine in to see what features it had. But I want to know info on starting on an XJ that didn't come with it, because I assume mine didn't.

I am currently adding keyless entry to a '98 xj that did not originally have power locks. I grabbed the power locks from a pick-a-part cherokee (someone grabbed the hatch one already, grrrr) and bought an aftermarket controller that comes with two keyfobs from jc-whitney for 49 bucks. The wiring diagrams show how to hook it up to an existing power lock circuit. If you want to see a copy of the installation instructions I can email them to you and you can judge the difficulty yourself. It also has two extra circuits, so you could hook up god knows what if you were bored. I am thinking about building a little extending 6' mast with a flag on it for parking lots... I have two doors hooked up already and they work great.

Good luck!

junx said:
got my build sheet and it included keyless entry. $40 for the remote, $40 for programming. i now have keyless entry.
Ya know I wonder if mine had it then. I should probably check before I go to all the work of like ripping down my dome light or anything.

RenixPower said:
Ya know I wonder if mine had it then. I should probably check before I go to all the work of like ripping down my dome light or anything.

Considering the time and effort, I'd agree. plus the build sheet is a good reference to have regardless.

you have a chance to ship yet? :spin1:

Personally I would just look up in the dome light to see if the unit is there. There is only two screws under the center light cover holding it up. Just remember you have to slide it forward to get it off. If it is there you kind of have a few options. You could buy a used transmitter have it programed (you can't do it yourself unless you own a DBRII scan tool with the Chrysler software about $6k), buy a brand new transmitter (dealer would probably program it for free then), or you could go to the junk yard and try to find a matched receiver & transmitters (and hope that they work).

Coincidently I happen to have a receiver, and two transmitters that work good from my 2000 that I would sell. If your interested PM me.

junx said:
Considering the time and effort, I'd agree. plus the build sheet is a good reference to have regardless.

you have a chance to ship yet? :spin1:
Yeah I just went and got one today, it had keyless entry someone just must've lost the two remotes.
scoobyxj said:
Personally I would just look up in the dome light to see if the unit is there. There is only two screws under the center light cover holding it up. Just remember you have to slide it forward to get it off. If it is there you kind of have a few options. You could buy a used transmitter have it programed (you can't do it yourself unless you own a DBRII scan tool with the Chrysler software about $6k), buy a brand new transmitter (dealer would probably program it for free then), or you could go to the junk yard and try to find a matched receiver & transmitters (and hope that they work).

Coincidently I happen to have a receiver, and two transmitters that work good from my 2000 that I would sell. If your interested PM me.
So since I know it's there and I know I don't have a $6000 Chrysler scan tool (I'm mostly Renix and I don't even have that $6000 scan tool) I think I'll just get a couple remotes and have the dealer reprogram them. Scooby, you may be getting a pm, I'm going to dig around because I think I saw some going for rediculously cheap on eBay, otherwise I know you've got a couple. Thanks for the help guys.

My 2 cents...

My Alarm Keyfobs have keyless entry, remote start, paging and a whole slew of other features. It can even tell me the Cabin Temp. Wow!

I didn't see the need to hunt down the original remotes nor wish to carry ANOTHER remote in addition to my Alarm Keyfobs. Plus, I removed the factory keyless entry circuitry in the event someone just happened to have the factory Remote.

Thx.

On my 96 XJ it has keyless entry but I do not have the remotes. Need to get some but they are more expensive as compared to the ZJ and WJ ones you can buy for some reason. But, usually the wiring harness, at least on the pre 97 XJ's have all the wiring installed and all you should have to do is install the proper reciever for your XJ year. You should also have electric door locks already installed on your Jeep for it to work. If not, it's junkyard time to get those parts. The pre 97 process for programming the remote is fairly simple and if you have your owners manual that came with your Jeep it should tell you how to program your remote should the need arise. There should be no reason to go to the dealership to have it done.

jpk said:
On my 96 XJ it has keyless entry but I do not have the remotes. Need to get some but they are more expensive as compared to the ZJ and WJ ones you can buy for some reason. But, usually the wiring harness, at least on the pre 97 XJ's have all the wiring installed and all you should have to do is install the proper reciever for your XJ year. You should also have electric door locks already installed on your Jeep for it to work. If not, it's junkyard time to get those parts. The pre 97 process for programming the remote is fairly simple and if you have your owners manual that came with your Jeep it should tell you how to program your remote should the need arise. There should be no reason to go to the dealership to have it done.
Yep you're exactly right for the pre97s. No need to take it to the dealership. His 99 is compleatly different. The remotes arn't even programable. You have to program the reciever to accept the codes from the remotes. That is why it has to be done by the dealer with the DBRII scan tool. Also if you're thinking it, a generic scan tool won't do it either.

Collin I have both the reciever, and the fobs that I want to sell together. You will be able to just plug it in and go because they are already matched.

scoobyxj said:
Yep you're exactly right for the pre97s. No need to take it to the dealership. His 99 is compleatly different. The remotes arn't even programable. You have to program the reciever to accept the codes from the remotes. That is why it has to be done by the dealer with the DBRII scan tool. Also if you're thinking it, a generic scan tool won't do it either.

Collin I have both the reciever, and the fobs that I want to sell together. You will be able to just plug it in and go because they are already matched.

I can program the keyless entry unit on my 03 WJ. Has the process in the owners manual too just like my 96 XJ manual. I can't believe DC would require the 97-01 XJ's to have the dealer program the units. Crazy. Just another way for the stealer to get into our wallets. Also....my bad. The remote does not get reprogramed, the receiver gets reprogrammed to accept the signal from the remote.

Last edited:
jpk said:
I can program the keyless entry unit on my 03 WJ. Has the process in the owners manual too just like my 96 XJ manual. I can't believe DC would require the 97-01 XJ's to have the dealer program the units. Crazy. Just another way for the stealer to get into our wallets. Also....my bad. The remote does not get reprogramed, the receiver gets reprogrammed to accept the signal from the remote.
In your owner's manual!? I know I was reading in the service manual and you can turn off the honk when you lock it but it wouldn't tell how to reset the module.

Back