• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Break job

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
Newly aquired '88.
It is a daily runner, not looking to build a crawler, but want to take advantage of needs to do upgrades that make it more reliable and trail dependable.

So...the breaks are working, but I see some deep gouges in the right front rotor when I look through the wheel and there is a noticable grind/drag in the rear. I just got this thing, and figure a break job is probably a good idea.

I was going to take it in for a break job tomorrow and started wondering if there was some aftermarket upgrades I should be looking into (rotors/Calipars, etc) before I bring it in.

Brakes.

The stock brake system is fine. The only upgrade over stock that I've done to my brake system is the master cylinder/vacuum booster out of a 2000 Grand Cherokee. It'll throw anything that isn't bolted down if you hit 'em hard.

I thought about doing it myself. I have done it a few times like 20+ years ago out of necessity ($$) Might acutally enjoy doing it now, and would only help to boost my confidence in the XJ. Plus save some more money for mods.

This may sound really stupid (I don't work on my cars) But is there a good source that outlines the proper steps to doing a front/back break job?

How about a good on-line parts source?
:dunce:

Ditto on what Kyle said.

I did a WJ knuckle/caliper conversion about six months after I did the master/booster upgrade, and found no further gain to be had. With just the WJ master/booster pushing stock rotors and $19 pads, I could lock up 35's.

Last edited:
cal said:
Ditton on what Kyle said.

I did a WJ knuckle/caliper conversion about six months after I did the master/booster upgrade, and found no further gain to be had. With just the WJ master/booster pushing stock rotors and $19 pads, I could lock up 35's.
that's impressive. i'm gonna have to look into that swap more.

Yes, its easily the best $50 I have ever spent. I've done the conversion several times now, and every time both I and the owner of the jeep I'm wrenching on that day are amazed by it.

cal said:
Yes, its easily the best $50 I have ever spent. I've done the conversion several times now, and every time both I and the owner of the jeep I'm wrenching on that day are amazed by it.
X3 I used a '96 booster and OMG what a difference.

bl87xj said:
This may sound really stupid (I don't work on my cars) But is there a good source that outlines the proper steps to doing a front/back break job?

How about a good on-line parts source?
:dunce:

Autozone has their Duralast limited lifetime warrenty brakes. That means when they wear out, you bright the parts back in, they give you new ones, no limit on how many times.

Also, you can pick up a Haynes manual at Autozone that will be pretty useful.

Auto Zone! Sweet, there is one less than a mile from me. They actually got one or two guys in there that seem pretty helpful.

I assume they will be able to guide me a bit with regards to all the parts/stuff needed.

Do they turn rotors/drums there?

I think I am going to drag the boy out into the driveway and try to tackle this, we will see what it leads to.

Umm, I don't think they turn the rotors/drums, but I know that they have brand new ones.

About what you will need for a good job.
Front:
-rotors
-calipers
-pads

rear
-shoes
-drums
-hardware kit
-drum brake tool (for taking off and putting springs on, trust me its useful)

-nitrile gloves
-brake cleaner
-lots of brake fluid for bleeding

I did a full job myself, didn't cost me a ton. For all the stuff above, I spent less than another person with a TJ did at a shop for new front pads, one caliper, and rotors.

Oh, just to let you know about the title of the thread, its brake, not break. Break is something you hope your Jeep (or in this case your brakes) doesn't do. I took off one drum last summer, hit the brake lights, shoes fell off and cylinder seal popped off and drained all the fluid out. Thats something you don't want to happen.

So I guess this is in the modified forum because brakes were spelled breaks? :)

Spend some time searching the OEM tech forum, lot of info on brakes, parts, and techniques.

I'm sure that somewhere on the web is a step by step for drum brakes. They are all pretty much the same.

Haynes and Chiltons are both okay for brake jobs. For the rear drums do one side at a time so you can refer to the undone side when assembling the new side. It helps. :)

I haven't found brake shoe types to make much difference in daily driving. Getting the brakes bled correctly and the rears adjusted correctly is more important.

Fred

Especially on the drums, do one side at a time. That way when you forget where a spring goes, you can look at the other side.

Pepboy turns roters. check prices w/ them also on other parts. BREKS are a snap when you have half a clue.

Some Kragen's also turn drums and rotors.

X1000 on the booster/master upgrade. Not as scary as it looks, just make sure you get a good booster and master.

Back