• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emissions on a '90 xj

LucasFury

NAXJA Forum User
first, i'd like to preface by saying i'm a new member here, and my '90 xj is my first jeep. ..though i grew up around a cj7, i didn't really get many oppurtunities to play with it..

anywho, the vaccum hose from my valvecover to the airbox is all but destroyed, and i'm curious as to whether or not it's -only- an emissions part. ..i'm in florida and we have no emissions checks, so i'm tempted to seal the hole on the valvecover and call it a day. ...i'm more than tired of seeing my $6/qt synoil all over the place, so i went ahead and plugged it temporarily yesterday, but i'm sure it can't withstand the pressure for very long.

..what should i do? the parts i need will only run me just over 100 bones, but that money would look great somewhere else if this isn't a necessity.

Im pretty sure you are referring to the larger line toward the front of the engine valve cover. You don't want to plug that hole.You don't need to re-connect it to the airbox wither though. Its purpose is to remove hot corrosive gases and air from the rocker arm cover and pass them back through the intake. You can pick up one of the small filters that will plug into that hole at most auto parts stores. I picked one up so that the cover can still breathe. You need it to be able to get gasses out of there. That is a common issue anyway with it being common to get "blowback" or "blowby" through that hole, and into the airbox. Dont plug it, but you don't have to take it back to the airbox...

..so, what filter am i looking for?

..what about the ridiculous amount of oil that is pouring out of it? won't i still be losing it through said filter?

also, i'm pretty sure the guys at dealership said the hose will have a pcv valve on it, or the equivalent thereof, how does that let air out but keep oil in?

don't plug that unless you want the motor to essentially poison itself, it sucks contaminated vapors and acidic gasses out of your crankcase.
If you plug it you will get oil in your air filter "search" blow-by

LucasFury said:
..so, what filter am i looking for?

..what about the ridiculous amount of oil that is pouring out of it? won't i still be losing it through said filter?

also, i'm pretty sure the guys at dealership said the hose will have a pcv valve on it, or the equivalent thereof, how does that let air out but keep oil in?

No valve, only 2.6mm orifice @ back of valve cover
I made a soup-can oil catch w/pot scrubber as filter, and J.B. welded bolt into the bottom for a drain and it sits on my intake manifold

Oh also clean out the little vac. line at the rear of valve cover with carb cleaner it may be partially clogged

Back