• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Hesitation when cold

Scorpio18

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says, when I first start up and the jeep has been sitting awhile. It will hesitate, and then it's fine once I give it gas in Drive, but not when I'm in Park and rev it. It will rev up but it has this slightly strange idle and will go right away when I put it in drive and give it gas. I used some injector cleaner in my gas and it went away for awhile, sorta, but its back and does it everytime.... TPS? It's not a major problem but annoying..

Post Script: I have done a search on this and get mixed answers....

1995 XJ Country I6

engine hesitation when cold

i was have a very very very similar problem, i would start my engine and have to rev it and if i stopped reving it it would die, but when i put it in park it was fine cause the drive idle came in. Try checking your fuel filter, most jeeps its on the drivers side right on the under side of the wheel well. i replaced mine for 11 bucks and a lil bit of gas on my arm and clothes but it seemed like it was running better and idleing better.
Matt

I have the exact same problem. 95 country 4.0 as well. I changed all of the sensors and it still happens occasionaly. New CPS, TPS, IAC, MAP, cleaned throttle body and new fuel filter.

I have a new TPS on the way from teamgrandcherokee (hasn't come yet...) and I will let you know if it fixes my problem which is identical.

Edit: Also when cold, if I rev it up to 1500 and let off the gas, chances are it'll come down and immedietley stall. I dooon't think this problem will be the TPS but I have other problems that the TPS will hopefully fix.

I have exactly the same issue going on. I've only owned it a couple of weeks, and it didn't do it until this past week. It will even keep doing it while I commute, which is even more annoying because my tranny wants to down shift every time it cuts in and out. This is about to drive me insane. I was thinking injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. But I think I'll wait for some others to try things. But I don't see some type of answer in this thread I'll be spending some money on it this weekend.

I know there are TONS of people out there with this problem.

Has anyone, anyone at all has this problem AND FIXED IT???

I think it's either somethin you gotta live with, or you can tackle every vacuum line and gasket, logically, and see if that fixes it.

I beleive it is a vacuum leak.

Back