• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wiper problem

Stormwalker

NAXJA Forum User
This is regarding my fiancee's 93 Cherokee.

Her truck had an intermittent systemwide power "blip", and I ended up changing the alternator, ECU, cleaning any and every ground I could see, switching out the battery, and kicking the wheel really hard.

Anyways, she came out and I quizzed her some more on what happened recently that could have caused this. She mentioned her windshield wipers stopped working momentarily when it was raining last, so I pulled the circuit breaker for the wipers and the intermittent cutting out of power stopped.

So now, the Cherokee's power system is just fine, but as it sits it has no windshield wipers. What could the cause of the power cutting out be? Bad switch? Bad motor? Since it was doing it intermittently, and at even intervals, could it have something to do with the intermittent wipers (even though the switch was in the "off" position)? I'd be just fine with the wipers only working on low/high if there's an easy fix that would result in that. So what's a good solution? Thanks for any help!

theres a intermittent switch box just under the drivers side dash its a small 3x3 black box that the factory has used velcro to hold it under the dash but it is high dollar about 100.00 or more.

delverde said:
theres a intermittent switch box just under the drivers side dash its a small 3x3 black box that the factory has used velcro to hold it under the dash but it is high dollar about 100.00 or more.

That's most likely the problem. Any way to bypass it so at least I can get low/high wipers?

I'm going to bump this.

I tried looking for this "intermittent switch box" under the drivers side dash, like around the fuse box area and such, and didn't see anything. Can anyone be more specific as to what this thing looks like/where it is?

The box is attached with velcro just above your left thigh as you sit in the drivers seat. There is a ledge just under the dash panel. To the right of the steering column several relays sit on this ledge and to the left is the module. detach it from the velcro and you can detach plugs from both ends. I don't know what usually happens when the module fails but on my 93 the low and high settings still worked, only the intermittent feature failed, so you may have other issues. My replacement box cost about $20 on ebay.

Back