• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smashing Exhaust

MikeDCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a problem of smashing the exhaust right above the front driveshaft. It is the first bend towards the back coming down from the exhaust manifold. It has done it twice. (I'm sure it's the driveshaft hitting it.) Any suggestions on what may be causing that?

I have the same problem! When i first saw it i couldn't believe that the bumpstops wouldn't keep enough clearance between the driveshaft and the exhaust, but that is the driveshaft is the only thing that could have done the damage. I'm not completely sure about this but maybe longer bumpstops would help?

If you guys are talking about the pinched exhaust part right behind the flange of the manifold, your driveshaft isn't hitting it, that was there from the factory...

Mine has done that as well. The dents in the pipe and the scratches on the ds line up. The way the pipe is bent I'm sure it was not a rock.

Mine hits too. I thought that was normal. I beat mine back with a hammer but I read on the engine performance forum that you should loosen the moter mounts and scoot the engine over. I guess you could adjust the trackbar to move the axel over.

should loosen the moter mounts and scoot the engine over.
==========================================
As well as:

Is the pipe over sized? hanging low?
Are the motor/trany mounts good? Could a torque strap or stiffer engine mounts help? How old and what type of stops are you using? Stock stops do give as they are made to do so. Sucking up some of the blow instead of your kidneys. If all is stock you should not need to lower stops to save the poop pipe. (IMO)

I had that problem too, but mine never got crushed, just a little dented and scratched up. It is the front drive shaft hitting it and putting in longer bump stops will cure the problem, or at least that is what cured it on mine.
The bump stops I put in are about 3" longer then the stock ones but you should only need to put in ones that are about 1" longer then the stock ones to cure the problem. Also mine only started to rub and dent the pipe after I disconnected the front sway bar so im guessing that could be when you guys started to dent yours.

if you do a TC drop and don't remove or adjust the exhaust mount that goes betweet the Tranny and the tranny mount, it will push your exhaust over into the DS.....

Back