• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR SHOCK LOCATION

RaceRunner

NAXJA Forum User
From understanding how shocks work, its best to install them so they sit vertically as they loose their effectiveness when mounted at angles. For example: when mounted verticle (perpendicular) 100% effective, when mounted =/- 10 degress 98% effective, when mounted +/- 20 degrees 92% effective, when mounted +/- 30 degrees 82% effective etc

WHY DO PEOPLE INSTALL SHOCKS ON AN ANGLE IF THEY LOOSE THEIR EFFECTIVENESS??

Why spend a heap of money on setting up you're suspension to not get the most out of your shocks? Fair enough if you haven't got the space, but still, many trucks do!!

I've been debating this arguement with the local 4wd club, just want to know what other people think.

actually shocks are most effective when they are mounted perfectly in line with the direction of travel of the axle. Since leaf springs attach at the front and the axle moves in an arc the most effective position for rear shocks would be angled towards the rear a bit. similarly the axles of rockcrawlers articulate a lot more, and move in an arc, so the best postion would be determined by finding the median of movement, not by orientation to vertical.

People also mount them at an angle out back b/c if you hi-clearance your mounts you cannot find a shock w/ a short enough body and long enough travel... Next best thing is to angle them in so they somewhat cantilever as the springs compress...

You can also make up for the angle by buying a stiffer valved shock...

The factory is Never Wrong!

HA!

I remember once asking my mechanics teacher why in the hell the shocks on my jeep were mounted at an angle and on different sides of the tubes. He said it helps with axle wrap. Maybe, I don't really know. But it sure as hell bugs me. Every time i walk up to my jeep from the back, i see that one damn colored shock body.....

GAH! I can't take it anymore, I'm gonna go buy some krylon....

jesterbomb said:

HA!

I remember once asking my mechanics teacher why in the hell the shocks on my jeep were mounted at an angle and on different sides of the tubes. He said it helps with axle wrap. Maybe, I don't really know. But it sure as hell bugs me. Every time i walk up to my jeep from the back, i see that one damn colored shock body.....

Lol so many people tell me im missing a shock...i just laugh and walk away.

jesterbomb said:

HA!

Ding Ding... You are correct.

That is why they are mounted on opposite sides of the axle

Back